Upgrade to 16.04 xenial is periodically freezing

After i ran the update/upgrade there were 0 updates/upgrades.

After reading the link i ran the following…

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R4 Graphics] [1002:130b]

…and according to the link that v3xx shared, that should be the correct driver.

But when i run lspci -vvnn | grep VGA from the terminal i get some output that i don’t really understand…

Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R4 Graphics] [1002:130b] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

I updated my kernel from 4.4 to 4.5 to see if that works. I’ll post if it freezes again, but so far so good.

1 Like

I think in trying to fix it i broke something with the kernel :confused: So i went back and undid some of the kernel 'upgrades' that i made and now my system is back to...
Kernel: 4.3.3-040303-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Now the kernel crashes when i boot up the computer. I am wondering if i don't have the correct kernel for my Ubuntu mate 16.04 xenial. Here's some of the specific things that are popping up when it crashes...

kernel crash
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
UnreportableReason: This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove third party package and try again.

HookError:

JournalErrors:

Someone please help...ugh :cry:

Larry I’m out of ideas. If this happen to me, a system reinstall would be my next choice.

1 Like

Hi @larryb,

I second what @anon42388993 said about the re-install, I did this on two PC’s recently due to multiple problems, you can keep all your data intact if you follow this advice!:

Good idea…i will try that.

1 Like

I did the re-install and i think it worked. It’s been about two days now and i’ve had no problems.

Thank you so much, guys…i really appreciate the help.

2 Likes

Hi Larry,

leave it for a few days and then please mark it as solved (tick the box in best answer) once you are satisfied that it is running okay so it helps others!. :smiley:

Wow sorry for the spam changing all my passwords now…

1 Like