Upgrading to 24.04!

It's out! The Ubuntu MATE point release is available! I plan to TRY an in-place upgrade tonight. I will report back how that works. I am hoping the CPU issue with mate-indicator- is fixed as I have had to kill and restart it every couple of days with 22.04. I am concerned though - that my themeing will be marred by the snap edition of Thunderbird which I am reasonably sure will not follow my desktop theme environment as far as the windows controls go. I am hopeful that I will find a way to have it use the GTK theme so that it matches the rest of the system.

Looking forward to the bright and shiny new version of Ubuntu MATE!

2 Likes

Wait. What about the full download? Is that available?

I'm not seeing it HERE. Really sucks that this isn't available.

Try this:

3 Likes

Yes; downloading it currently. Will test it out in a virtual machine first.

Let us know if the installer is still crashing.

It does not, but there's a new bug, unfortunately. Has to do with the top panel, the "complete" applet, and the "inhibit" applet (as well as other applets that are added). I posted about it in the forum. Here's the link: CLICK HERE. Trying to sign up for a Launchpad account (haven't gotten a verification e-mail still) so I can report the bug. Am very disappointed with this regression. It's very distracting. Once you see it, you can't "unsee" it.

I did an in place upgrade. No issue to speak of and I guess that's great news! Other than Thunderbird changing to a snap and the loss of my email in local folders (I can live with that!) everything is working! I think this is a first for me. I see that the mate-indicator- bug continually using more CPU daily, is / has been carried over from 22.04, I gather since it is not a fresh install and Thunderbird takes a few days to start the today pane to advance to the next day automatically, I would have thought the change to snap would have fixed that. It starts advancing the date after several days. Any idea about this? I tried looking for Thunderbird support boards but nothing of value there and my question went unanswered on their reddit threads.

1 Like

No issues whatsoever with the panels and applets? No weird boundary lines anywhere around icons when clicking on the "complete" applet? Would be very strange if your system was somehow OK, because mine isn't.

Hey Omnimaxus,

Good move to ask around concerning your panel problem
You can have my experiences too:

I have 5 completely different computers running with Ubuntu-MATE 24.04 . Three of them newly installed (one from a pre alpha image) , two of them upgraded from 22.04
3 with intel CPU, 2 with an AMD CPU. 3 with intel graphics, 1 with AMD graphics, 1 with nVidia graphics. The oldest one is from 2005 the newest one is from 2018.

None of them have any weird boundary lines anywhere around icons when clicking on the "complete" applet or anything like what you have extensively documented in another thread. :sweat:

5 Likes

That is absolutely weird! Thank you so much for sharing.

This is weird.

Earlier, when I clicked on my icon to obtain the shutdown option, I can confirm that I did observe (for the first time) that my CPU Monitor panel applet "button" showed a light-blue border, as you have been reporting.

However, I just logged in, to check if I still have the problem, and it is now NOT showing that light-blue border when I click again to display the shutdown option! Go figure! :frowning:

Wow. "Weird" is right! Ha ... and thank you, of course, for reporting/sharing this.