Weather applets inop

Looks like a bug:

from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/xenial-mate:

===
… The version of MATE 1.14 in this PPA is built against GTK2+ …

however:

===
$ ldd libmateweather.so.1.6.9 | grep gtk
libgtk-3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0 (0x00007f0515a6d000)

I am not completely sure but possible solution (until they make a new version) could be to replace the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1.6.9 with file from the previous version (1.14.1-1~xenial1.1). This version is built against GTK2+ and works. I know this because I have another machine where Mate Xenial was installed several days ago.

I tried this also (before you postet this).

After deinstalled libmateweather1 and libmateweather-common i wasn’t able to log in.

So i startet Linux in Recovery mode (pressing ESC while Ubuntu MATE start)
Then:

• activate network
  • start a root terminal
  • make drive writable with command mount -o remount,rw /
  • install libmateweather1 and libmateweather-common (with apt-get install xyz)
  • install ubuntu-mate-desktop
  • reboot

Ready. Now i was able to log in again.

(This german article from ubuntuusers.de helped me at this steps)

Same problem here, with the same output from terminal when I run /usr/lib/mate-panel/clock-applet.

Sorry guys, I screwed up :frowning:

I’ve just upload a correct build of libmateweather to the xenial-mate PPA, once it is build and you update, it will work. Very sorry for the screw up. I mixed GTK3 and GTK2 toolkits by mistake.

9 Likes

Hi Wimpy
Just updated with synaptic and everything works nice.

Thank you for the quick fix.
Bye

Hello Wimpy,

nobody is perfect :slight_smile:
It’s working again.
Thank you!

I´m so glad…I can look at it all day!
Works like a charm!
Thank you!:joy:

The only people that never make mistakes are people that never try…thanks for the fix, the fix for the fix, and the fast response :smile:

1 Like

Good it’s solved now :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Wimpy, post:92, topic:8435”]
Sorry guys, I screwed up
[/quote] And 100% took ownership and in an extremely quick fashion supplied the remedy.
Contrast this with 'commercial software’

###Go team @Wimpy

3 Likes

Unfortunately today as I booted my laptop I couldn’t find the clock and date icons and it’s impossible to add them on the top panel. I’ m running 16.04 lts with MATE 1.14.1 . Any thoughts?

I’m sorry guys after the latest update everything is working fine. Thanks Wimpy!:joy:

Temperature now working in 16.10 :slight_smile:

Edit:
When first installed I had a weather forecast, now its no longer available :confused:

1 Like

today I updated and all is perfect, thank you all!

[quote=“v3xx, post:100, topic:8435”]When first installed I had a weather forecast, now its no longer available :confused:[/quote]Hi @anon42388993 Maybe something similar as the update caused me a momentary pause. It had reverted to no forecast!

In /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu there’s a symbolic link named libmateweather.so.1 pointing to the file that gets updated, libmateweather.so.1.6.9 in the same directory.

I had put my hacked version and original in that same directory as:

libmateweather.so.1.6.9.hacked
libmateweather.so.1.6.9.orig

After the update,using synaptic, the link pointed to libmateweather.so.1.6.9.orig!!! Hmmmm… maybe I shouldn’t have had those extra files there to begin with.

Easily fixed, of course. But a head-scratcher why it would do that.

1 Like

After this morning’s manual update I’m happy to report

forecast is working for me - US / Virginia … Location info: Washington DC Dulles International

I’m glad I decided to wait it out after attempting to install the clock applet yesterday :yum:

I agree. Thanks! Everything is working fine now.

1 Like

Well I have an ongoing entry in syslog that I reported July 26 which I hoped would have been remedied with the repair of the weather app. Even though there are no discernable detriments to my system I decided again to examine my syslog and found the message again today.

The message occurs when booting after full connectivity has been established:
Sep 13 10:43:55 pfeiffep-Studio-1749 org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[4444]: ** (mateweather-applet:4669): WARNING **: Failed to get pixmap 14680513,923,0 Sep 13 10:43:55 pfeiffep-Studio-1749 org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[4444]: ** (mateweather-applet:4669): WARNING **: Failed to get pixmap 14680545,923,0 Sep 13 10:43:55 pfeiffep-Studio-1749 org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[4444]: ** (mateweather-applet:4669): WARNING **: Failed to get pixmap 14680548,923,0 Sep 13 10:43:55 pfeiffep-Studio-1749 org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[4444]: ** (mateweather-applet:4669): WARNING **: Failed to get pixmap 14680561,923,0

Hi @pfeiffep I have a different message associated with updating but it goes away if I disable RADAR. It looks like this:

Sep 13 18:56:24 bill-xps org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[3792]: (mateweather-applet:4023): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 188 was not found when attempting to remove it
That’s a single line and Source ID increments 188, 356, 550,…3451…

“pixmap” sounds like it may be an image like RADAR.

EDIT: Reading your other report looks like apples and oranges with what I’m getting so we’ll see if anyone else is sees either.

Thanks Bill,

I don’t have radar enabled. These messages appear on both my installations: HP desktop & Dell laptop.

I just booted my HP so I looked for the first indication in syslog wrt weather
org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[4543]: (mateweather-applet:4766): MateWeather-CRITICAL **: weather_info_get_icon_name: assertion 'info != NULL' failed

There are no visual indications that there’s an issue with weather … or for that matter the clock which produced this
(clock-applet:4764): WARNING **: Failed to get pixmap 16777266,-1,-1

Backup originals, of course.
In the file:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1.6.9
Change:
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/forecasts/zone/%s/%s.txt
To:
"http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/zone/%s/%s.txt "
Using sed.

Good idea, this works great!

I just escape the / with \