Welcome Center retired?

Upon install I am used to welcome center showing up and allowing me to install a few things that seem to work better when installed that way. It doesn't even appear to be installed. Did it get removed?

See here: Ubuntu MATE 24.04 LTS Release Notes | Ubuntu MATE

Retired Ubuntu MATE Welcome; although it is still available for Ubuntu MATE 23.10 and earlier.

4 Likes

::sigh::

I swear I scrolled that up and down and still somehow didn't see it. Thanks.

Ended up rolling back to 22.04 LTS when compiz absolutely crapped the bed. So I'm back on Jammy for now.

1 Like

I also miss 'Welcome' dearly.

All the post-install tweaks and changes that I used to do manually were beautifully sequentially lined up as buttons in the first Welcome menu.

Everything I used to customize with scripts and by hand were now just a few mouseclicks away.
Curated non-repository software was installed with a click.
Ah well, back to the scripts then, but I'm worried a bit about the less experienced users.
How are they going to cope without it ?
Anyway, 'Welcome' was a great luxuary for both beginner as well as seasoned sysadmin.

I want to give many many thanks to @lah7 for creating this beautiful piece of software that made ubuntu-mate stand out from the crowd and for managing it for many years.
I'm thankful that it has seen the light of day, I'm also a bit sad to see it go.

I hope to see it come back one day, whatever its form may be.

7 Likes

I loved that welcome window, ubuntu budgie actually managed to keep it alive for 24.04! I wonder why @Wimpy decided to abandon it (it's a snap! Should be easily portable from version to version)!

1 Like