What do you want?

This is just a post to see what the community wants from Ubuntu MATE that it is currently not offering. Leave out ideas that pertain to applications or projects not under UM(Ubuntu MATE) control. But what do you want from the UM desktop that it is not currently providing, it can be something that is implemented in another desktop or system, or something original. What is it??

3 Likes

Gtk3 based ttitlebar decorator alongside the metacity themes. That you could use the gtk3 titlebar style instead of the current marco one even for non csd apps.

3 Likes

Nice of you to open this thread.
Most of what I would like to see is not within UM's power, but rather subtle adjustments to the MATE desktop that I believe would be worthwhile. I have been following the Github and I know that some of the improvements I desire are already in progress.

Regarding UM, I have a few suggestions. One thing I would really like to see brought back into UM is the Ambiant/Radiant themes. However, from my testing, they don't work well with CSD and may introduce more problems than we would like. It might be possible to find a solution if something like libxfce4ui-nocsd for MATE were implemented. However, I'm not aware of a project that would fit this need.

I would also appreciate more panel layout options in MATE-Tweak and would suggest that the developers consider integrating more reliance on Rofi. MATE-hud is exceptional to me and provides a unique experience. For instance, I like to use Rofi instead of the mate-panel --run-dialog or the alt+tab.

4 Likes

Something lije this is just possible with title bars even for csd apps:

Im glad that the second post in this wishlist is also about the optical difference in the "titlebar" between csd and no csd apps. Mate os not the only system with thisvproblem, xfce has it too.

4 Likes

Something I am interested in is a new menu, brisk menu is ok and works, but I've personally switched to the classic menu and removed the system part as I feel this is a more effective setup(not as glitchy/ buggy, not that the menu itself is buggy but when trying to use it ie accidentally switching categories when you don't want to), I understand why the advanced menu is no longer installed, but I am interested in a new menu that has some of the advantages the advanced menu has over the brisk menu, preferably a menu bar like the classic menu but with a modern ui

3 Likes

the other thing would be better stability the last couple lts releases haven't felt as stable as some of the previous ones I don't know if that an ubuntu thing or a UM thing though

3 Likes

A way to reduce the size of on-screen displays (OSD) for things like volume, microphone and screen brightness. Perhaps something similar to this extension for Cinnamon.

3 Likes

I'd also like to suggest a modified Yaru-MATE light theme that uses a dark panel, similar to Mint-Y. In my opinion, this would look nicer aesthetically, and bring the color scheme closer to what GNOME has in the shell/GTK color contrast.

4 Likes

Mate menu back.

Why they stopped the menu that gave Ubuntu Mate the name is a secret to me. Do they get money from the Brisk menu team to implement that ugly and completely useless Brisk menu?

5 Likes

understandable, no they don't get money from the brisk menu team(I don't think they have any) the mate menu or advanced menu as it was called was just not being maintained well (possibly because it was difficult to maintain, being a fork of the mint menu) and maybe there are other reasons

5 Likes

Hi @Newhere,

you may want to check this video from @Wimpy (time code around 18m 20s):

He explains the rationale behind removing mate-menu and also gives the recipe on how to return the menu back to the default installation.

5 Likes

Thanks @ironfoot. I already knew that part. I had watched it around the 21.10 release.
After spending a couple of hundreds of £££, btw never received any confirmation that this money was booked in a donation account, as soon as my UM no longer works, I will go to Mint and pay them for the use of the system
I would have done it this year, but my pre-installed UM 20.04 by Entroware seems to work differently. The upgrade to 22.04 was the opposite to what I had tested in my Virtualbox, and it left every personal setting including Mate menu.
I'm no developer, but I have my own job, and help to support others in my favourite software in my leisure time.
I'm not one of those who takes things for granted if that is what you were driving at.

I am not implying anything.

In this video, they clearly and honestly say why: the software is poorly designed and is difficult to maintain, and no team member is willing to maintain it. Now, 2 years later, it still has no maintainer. It is abandoned and remains in repositories AS IS.

If you have mate-menu package installed in 20.04, it will remain installed after upgrade to 22.04. It is not installed by default in fresh installations.

3 Likes

Re: If you have mate-menu package installed in 20.04, it will remain installed after upgrade to 22.04. It is not installed by default in fresh installations.

That is not correct. Of course I tested the upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04. Even put some stuff onto the desktop and Documents to see what it looks like.
The ISO from ubuntu-mate.org is not the same as the one that Entroware used. In my Virtualbox, the menu was uninstalled, and in my system, everything was still there.

Technically, mate-menu is marked as auto-removable during the upgrade process. You have to confirm its removal either in upgrade utility directly or running apt autoremove command in upgraded system later. It does not just disappear.

1 Like

I've been using Windows 7 side-by-side with Ubuntu MATE for going on a decade now. I take no side on the OS religious wars; I use them both and they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately for me, Windows 7 is finally becoming difficult to continue. More and more software is opting to declare the end of compatibility with Windows 7. I really don't like the direction Windows 10+ took the UI, so I'm seriously considering making UM my primary OS now, and Windows 7 the alternative.

Finally, to your question. I really have enjoyed the Aero theme on Windows 7, with the transparent title bars, task bar, etc. I've tried some of the options mentioned for MATE, but frankly they are not well executed. I'd like to see a solid implementation of the concept on MATE. Obviously, I can continue with MATE without it, and I realize this is probably more a compositor issue rather than a MATE one. But here we are.

Thanks.

1 Like

Return the Ambiant MATE theme as an option

5 Likes

Perhaps this is more in the realm of Mate in general, but I would really love to be able to set color profiles in the Display control panel. (Or a create a new panel for the purpose)

3 Likes

Welcome @Thanimal to the community!

Add mate-tweak's custom layout autosaving as an option

2 Likes