What do you want?

Thanks @ironfoot. I already knew that part. I had watched it around the 21.10 release.
After spending a couple of hundreds of £££, btw never received any confirmation that this money was booked in a donation account, as soon as my UM no longer works, I will go to Mint and pay them for the use of the system
I would have done it this year, but my pre-installed UM 20.04 by Entroware seems to work differently. The upgrade to 22.04 was the opposite to what I had tested in my Virtualbox, and it left every personal setting including Mate menu.
I'm no developer, but I have my own job, and help to support others in my favourite software in my leisure time.
I'm not one of those who takes things for granted if that is what you were driving at.

I am not implying anything.

In this video, they clearly and honestly say why: the software is poorly designed and is difficult to maintain, and no team member is willing to maintain it. Now, 2 years later, it still has no maintainer. It is abandoned and remains in repositories AS IS.

If you have mate-menu package installed in 20.04, it will remain installed after upgrade to 22.04. It is not installed by default in fresh installations.

3 Likes

Re: If you have mate-menu package installed in 20.04, it will remain installed after upgrade to 22.04. It is not installed by default in fresh installations.

That is not correct. Of course I tested the upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04. Even put some stuff onto the desktop and Documents to see what it looks like.
The ISO from ubuntu-mate.org is not the same as the one that Entroware used. In my Virtualbox, the menu was uninstalled, and in my system, everything was still there.

Technically, mate-menu is marked as auto-removable during the upgrade process. You have to confirm its removal either in upgrade utility directly or running apt autoremove command in upgraded system later. It does not just disappear.

1 Like

I've been using Windows 7 side-by-side with Ubuntu MATE for going on a decade now. I take no side on the OS religious wars; I use them both and they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately for me, Windows 7 is finally becoming difficult to continue. More and more software is opting to declare the end of compatibility with Windows 7. I really don't like the direction Windows 10+ took the UI, so I'm seriously considering making UM my primary OS now, and Windows 7 the alternative.

Finally, to your question. I really have enjoyed the Aero theme on Windows 7, with the transparent title bars, task bar, etc. I've tried some of the options mentioned for MATE, but frankly they are not well executed. I'd like to see a solid implementation of the concept on MATE. Obviously, I can continue with MATE without it, and I realize this is probably more a compositor issue rather than a MATE one. But here we are.

Thanks.

1 Like

Return the Ambiant MATE theme as an option

5 Likes

Perhaps this is more in the realm of Mate in general, but I would really love to be able to set color profiles in the Display control panel. (Or a create a new panel for the purpose)

3 Likes

Welcome @Thanimal to the community!

Add mate-tweak's custom layout autosaving as an option

2 Likes

I want human/humanity (clearlooks?) themes back. And, surely, that little applet to tweak their colour schemes...

2 Likes
  1. Auto tiling capabilities for my windows, something that works like pop-shell under gnome
  2. Better animations for windows (minimize/maximize/open/close) similarly to what budgie does (nothing too fancy, but a little bit more than the current one). I also would like to have an animation when I switch workspace
  3. Touchpad gestures
2 Likes

Add this by default

3 Likes

Yes!!
That would be really great

Hi, I have reinstalled linux mint in vmware after much time but I am not convinced that I will keep it long, because it is more difficult to use than windows, a small question please, how can I modify the date/time format on mint that I don't see the option?

I have no idea how it works on 'linux mint' (you should ask on their forum) but on Ubuntu-MATE you just have to open control center and choose language support->regional settings (see below)

If, besides the regional settings, you want to customize the clock indicator on the panel a bit, you can use this:

But again, Ubuntu-MATE is not Linux Mint so there might be differences.

2 Likes

thanks tkn for your answer, it's actually linux MATE and not mint that I installed, I was wrong and confused, thank you very much, finally now I have the date format as I wanted it

3 Likes

Auto disable compositor on full screen, I don't know if this is already a marco/picom features, but it would be cool if it exist.

1 Like

My wish for networkmanager in Ubuntu-MATE:

Allow to set a system default value for "autoconnect" property in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

I want the default behaviour of my networking interfaces to be that they don't connect to any network automatically.

1. In /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, I can change that per connectionprofile for every existing connection, which i do, but it is pretty tiresome so I want to be able to set the [connection] autoconnect=false property to be applied by default.

I have some workarounds for this issue by scripting some nm-cli commands but it is far from ideal. A way to set autoconnect=false as system default would be very very welcome.

2 Likes

Lightweight automated change from light to dark mode, can auto change the icons, background, gtk and titlebar theme based on time of day.

Also each time that I change the background or theme, it removes my transparency setting on the plank dock and would like it to keep my transparent setting and not have to change it back all the time.

Otherwise really am loving how fast/lightweight and snappy Ubuntu Mate is. It is a great balance of look/performance. Continue to add more desktop layout settings as well love that too.

1 Like

Welcome @Ryan_Hines to the community!