When will MATE on Wayland come out?

How's the development of MATE on Wayland going?

@wmww should be able to tell you that since he is the primary driving force behind the Wayland support right now.

Pinging @wmww...

1 Like

it can be partially run, but from what I've seen there's still a lot left to do especially with caja

You might be interested in the previous discussion of this matter. Or maybe the Snap package that exists. Just bear in mind the last time it was used the user had a real time of things....

2 Likes

I did some work porting the panel and notifications to Wayland, but haven't touched it much recently. If the snap is working at all currently, it's just a proof of concept and not fit for daily use. As far as I know no one is putting significant effort into to the port, and it's not going to happen until someone does (that person almost certainly wont be me).

4 Likes

IMHO until Wayland supports NVIDIA drivers and CUDA its not worth the effort of porting to it.

I had some very bad initial experiences with Ubuntu 20.04 and tried Manjero, and all the issues just weren't there, but Manjero was on Wayland and thus no NVIDIA drivers or CUDA so when it came time to install the rest of what I needed, Manjero would not work.

Eventually 20.04 updates fixed enough of the issues that I'm actually now using it on my laptop and some IOT systems.

Look that the first versions of NVIDIA drivers have already started to support wayland