Why does the Software Boutique install extra packages for GIMP?

While investigating an issue about upgrading GIMP with a PPA, I noticed something unexpected: when installing GIMP from the Software Boutique, it also installs extra packages like gimp-gmic (a collection of filters), gimp-plugin-registry (a collection of plugins) and mplayer (??? why the hell is it installing mplayer?), maybe others.

Is that normal or is there something wrong here? I’m especially surprised to see mplayer in the list but I guess it might be due to cascading dependancies because of another extra package.
EDIT: oh, it also installs gimp-gap, which is a plugin to create animations with GIMP. I assume it’s why it needs mplayer.

I confirm that the UM version 2.8 is in that point different as it has Save for Web, which is an extra plugin. The original Gimp version doesn’t have this.
Because both versions are different, that’s why you have to uninstall the UM version 2.8 first, and then install the 2.10 as PPA.

I think OMGUbuntu is also aware of issues:

Wait, installing from the Boutique doesn’t get the snap app?

AFAIK, the Software Boutique doesn’t install any snap package but that might change in the future.

On 18.04? Are you sure?

I’m not 100% sure but I think that’s what the devs said just after the release of 18.04, when someone asked that already.

If you can, please send me some links…

I can’t find the thread where I saw the post, it was four monthes ago. Better open a new one to ask the question.

I’ll consider it, thanks