When will Gimp be updated to 2.10

As a Beginner, what to would you say how long it will take before 2.10 will be offered in Software Boutique?
I’m on UM18.04.

1 Like

Unless it is backported (which is unlikely), it won’t be in the 18.04 repositories. It’ll be in 18.10 (which is not a LTS). If you want to stick to LTS, you’ll have whatever newer version is available in 20.04 (april 2020).

If you want to update it anyway, it’s available in Otto Kessegulasch’s PPA. Maybe there’s also a Snap package or similar available somewhere, I don’t know.

EDIT: it is in fact available as a snap but it’s still version 2.8.22. The new 2.10 version is available as a flatpak on the official website but I’m not sure it’s recommended to mix debs and flatpaks, nor if there are general downsides to using flatpaks.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I have run several tests in Virtualbox. The flatpack version doesn’t work for me.
Snap version means that the UM version could updated when Ubuntu updates it?
In Virtualbox, I uninstalled 2.8.2 and then installed the PPA version. This worked fine.
Would this have impact on the system updates when I have a Gimp outside the Software Boutique installed?

BTW, do who know who Otto Kesselgulasch is?

Snap version means that the UM version could updated when Ubuntu updates it?

I don’t know how/when snaps are updated. It’s pretty new and I’m not very familiar with them.

Would this have impact on the system updates when I have a Gimp outside the Software Boutique installed?

Again, I’m not sure how snaps are managed when a deb version is installed also. In any case, you can install and remove the deb or the snap easily (though GIMP might be a dependancy for the MATE desktop, I haven’t checked).

In Virtualbox, I uninstalled 2.8.2 and then installed the PPA version. This worked fine.

Oh, you don’t need to uninstall it beforehand. The PPA version will update your current one. And if you (properly) remove the PPA, you’ll be back to the original version.

BTW, do who know who Otto Kesselgulasch is?

One of the various developers who have a PPA (3rd-party repository hosted on Launchpad). He’s been updating his PPA for years, there’s no reason to think it could be dangerous to use it if that’s what you’re wondering.

Thanks terzag. I wasn’t worried about Otto but asked because of his funny name. He obviously likes Kesselgulasch :slightly_smiling_face:

It might be a pseudonym as there’s a different name on his Launchpad page. :wink:

Unfortunately, I was right with my tests. Using PPA on top of the existing GIMP version 2.8.2 will corrupt the files for both versions and GIMP doesn’t works at all. I can’t uninstall it at all. I looks like that I have to reinstall the entire system.

gimp: Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.24.1) but 2.36.11-2 is installed
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15) but 2.27-3ubuntu1 is installed

Don’t uninstall anything, purge the PPA, it will revert the packages to the Ubunut repos version:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

Hello @terzag
No worries, I planned to start from scratch so or so as this was part of my “gain experiences”. Before I wanted to start my real Linux life, it also included how to reinstall a Linux system. And I made it :smile:

I tried everything this morning and I can confirm that installing Gimp 2.10 on top of 2.8.2 breaks also the Software Updater for UM. There was no fix possible because the new Gimp overwrites 2 important files.

I tried everything including:

open a terminal and type: sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

I then tried to fix broken files, which worked before in another issue but even that didn’t work.

Because I started with UM 18.04 Beta 1, I hadn’t expected to go through to the final so or so. That’s why I had almost no files on my still test system.

Nevertheless, I have just finished my new installation including programs, bookmarks and my Weather indicator and everything looks as before. More important is that certain issues with the display and showing fonts that I had before as a result of Mate Tweak issues in Beta 1 are now solved :slight_smile:

Summary:

1. If you are beginner like me, install Virtualbox and run all tests first in Virtualbox
  2. If the Virtualbox already shows an issue, the main system (Host) will have the same issue

I have already installed Vitualbox and will run now all Gimp tests in Virtualbox.

It’s a bit weird: I’ve just tried adding the PPA to update GIMP and had no issues. No conflicts in APT, GIMP works fine, the Software Updater too…

Did you have outdated PPAs/3rd party repos? this might explain the issues with some packages.

I had the same issues in Virtualbox when I had a clean UM 18.04 installation with Gimp 2.8.2. I will run another test in Virtualbox.

Did you add the PPA and upgraded without first removing the gimp package?

I did this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gimp

Ok. I thought GIMP was installed on Ubuntu MATE from the beginning but I’ve just checked and it’s not the case. So, what you did should work.

I’ll try on my VM to check if there’s some weird packaging mistake in the PPA that would trigger issues.

EDIT: when I try to install it, it wants to install the following packages:
gimp gimp-data libamd2 libbabl-0.1-0 libblas3 libcamd2 libccolamd2 libcholmod3 libgegl-0.3-0 libgegl-0.4-0 libgfortran4 libgimp2.0 libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 liblapack3 libmetis5 libmypaint libquadmath0 libumfpack5 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 mypaint-brushes python-cairo python-gobject-2 python-gtk2

Same list on your side?

Then, it installs properly and starts without issues. So, not sure what is happening on your side.

If you run Softwares & Updates from the Control Center, you should have the following:

• 1st tab: the four Ubuntu repos checked (main, universe, multiverse and restricted)
  • 2nd tab: the Partner repo (unchecked but it can be enabled) and the GIMP PPA
  • 3rd tab: the three update repos checked (security, updates and backports)
  • 6th tab: the Proposed repo unchecked (important)
    Do you have anything else or repositories that are not in the state I listed?

Test 1:
I just installed UM 18.04 in Virtualbox and have the same error that I had before and in my main system. The entire system was broken and nothing could be fixed.
I then realised that I obviously hadn’t installed Synaptic Package Manager to use apt-get. Mea culpa. Sorry, I’m a Windows user and new to Linux.

Test 2:
I restored UM to original, installed Synaptic Package Manager from Software Boutique.
Installed Gimp 2.8.
Ran Otto Kesselgulasch’s installing instructions.
Result: Message tells me it can’t be installed because there is already the lastest version 2.8. installed
I then used the Flatpack instruction from the Gimp Download website
Installed flatpack
Installed Gimp
Result: Gimp 2.8. works fine, but I can’t find Gimp 2.10. Mea maxima culpa, I’m new to Linux.

Because I don’t need Gimp 2.8, now the final …

Test 3:
I restored UM18.04 to original.
Installed Synaptic Package Manager from Software Boutique.
Followed Otto Kesselgulasch’s installing instructions.
Searched for Gimp in Menu
Result: Gimp is listed and Gimp 2.10 openes fine :slight_smile:
I then updated the system with the latest update, and left ppa Kesselgulasch ticked in Settings.
Result: the system updates correctly and nothing is broken.

Summary for Beginners like me:
Don’t have Gimp 2.8. installed if you wish to use Gimp 2.10. Make sure you have Synaptic Package Manager
installed, and then follow https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp and everything will work.

Synaptic isn’t mandatory at all, it’s just a GUI to manage APT more easily. I’ll check your third hypothesis, as it implies that GIMP can’t update from 2.8 on a fresh UM 18.04 install while still installing fine when going straight from 2.10.

EDIT: nope, still no issues on my side. Are you using Ubuntu MATE in 32 or 64 bit?

@terzag
As 64-bit. I’ve taken screenshots. Had to stop (work wise). Once I have installed Gimp, I will edit them and upload here the essential one.

Just installed Gimp 2.10 which works so much better than 2.8. Thanks and Thumbs up to the GIMP team.

Here are the screenshots which however only happens if you install 2.10 on top of 2.8 (installed using Software Boutique).
Solution: have no 2.8 installed and install 2.10 using PPA instructions and all will work fine.

After installing on top of 2.8.:

When trying to launch Gimp from Menu - Graphics:

Crash report:

Content of Crash report:

Updating failed as the entire system update failed:

For some reason, APT is unable to install the package it downloaded in a temp directory. Are you short on disk space or memory?

What happens if you do the following?

sudo apt-get install -f

Also, can you give me the output of the following command?

apt-cache policy gimp libgimp2.0

@terzag
I have installed on my main system that’s important. I had the same error in my first main system, and that’s why I don’t care any longer what went why wrong before. I have Gimp 2.10, which works so much better. I’m happy.

Edit: I don’t have that Virtualbox version, I removed both failures. What I also thought is if you had installed Gimp 2.8 through Software Boutique.