WINE on Ubuntu 17.10

Ok. I see you have three packages marked as not to upgrade. Do this to check if they’re related to the issue:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ wine --version
wine-3.0
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for emjaycee: 
Hit:1 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful InRelease
Get:2 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates InRelease [78.6 kB]   
Get:3 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports InRelease [72.2 kB] 
Hit:4 archive.canonical.com/ubuntu artful InRelease                     
Get:5 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security InRelease [78.6 kB]    
Get:6 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [397 kB]
Get:7 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease [15.9 kB]
Get:8 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main DEP-11 64x64 Icons [263 kB]
Get:9 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [2,845 kB]
Err:7 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease 
  The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY FB01CC26162506E7
Get:10 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/universe DEP-11 64x64 Icons [7,915 kB]
Hit:11 deb.playonlinux.com xenial InRelease                             
Hit:12 dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu artful InRelease               
Get:13 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [2,924 B]
Get:14 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/main DEP-11 64x64 Icons [4,471 B]
Get:15 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [10.4 kB]
Get:16 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/universe DEP-11 64x64 Icons [10.2 kB]
Get:17 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/multiverse amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [43.8 kB]
Get:18 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/multiverse DEP-11 64x64 Icons [207 kB]
Get:19 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main amd64 Packages [174 kB]
Get:20 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main i386 Packages [172 kB]
Get:21 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [73.3 kB]
Get:22 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main DEP-11 64x64 Icons [49.2 kB]
Get:23 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/universe amd64 Packages [69.8 kB]
Get:24 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/universe i386 Packages [69.3 kB]
Get:25 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [48.5 kB]
Get:26 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/universe DEP-11 64x64 Icons [52.8 kB]
Get:27 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports/universe amd64 Packages [3,404 B]
Get:28 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports/universe i386 Packages [3,396 B]
Get:29 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [4,712 B]
Get:30 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports/universe DEP-11 64x64 Icons [2,717 B]
Ign:31 download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable  InRelease               
Hit:32 download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable  Release
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY FB01CC26162506E7
E: The repository 'ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/source/Sources' as repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu artful InRelease' does not seem to provide it (sources.list entry misspelt?)
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ wine --version
wine-3.0
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ 

Okay, I had to take out 33 instances of http:// to let this have a chance of going through. Before and after that I also did a wine version check and both times it’s telling me I have 3.0 installed… I think?

Does that mean you’ve done it… or am I missing something lol?
M.

I guess it’s somewhat ok. The installation of Wine probably went through despite the issue with libsane. Anyway, there are some issues with some of your sources:

• the Ubuntu MATE dev repo is not signed; not sure how you added it as it’s supposed to sign itself when adding it;
  • the repo for Wine triggers a warning that I don’t really understand, especially as it seems ok in your sources.list.

We’ll try to fix the first issue:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 162506E7

As for the second one, as I said, I’m not sure. It might be that the repo doesn’t provide sources packages. You don’t really need them anyway. Let’s tidy up a bit your sources. First, create a new dedicated .list file for the Wine repo (it’ll be better than keeping it in the main sources.list):

sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

In the blank file that opens, put this and save the file:

deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ artful main
# deb-src https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ artful main

Then, open your main sources.list:

sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list

Delete the two lines at the end (should be lines 52 & 53, the two about dl.winehq.org/wine-builds) and save the file.

Then, reload the sources again and tell me if you still have the errors and warnings at the end (the lines starting with W:, E: and N: in your previous message):

sudo apt-get update

Okay. But before I do anything else… I just wanted you to know that the program I wanted has downloaded and executed with WINE. There is an error associated with it but I’ve opened it and it is definitely usable. If I go ahead with the commands you’ve got above, am I likely to lose the program I just managed to add? Sorry to pre-empt you with this but I got a bit excited lol.

So, definitely go ahead with this new stuff as well?

And, before I forget or get distracted, an absolutely HUGE thank you for all the work you’ve put in on this… it’s unbelievable… I wouldn’t have had a clue what you were even doing most of the time… let alone knowing all the commands to write!

Oh, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if I get kicked off here again soon for too many messages… just so you know lol. So, if you still think I should do the last set let me know and I’ll still do them, even if you don’t get the results until tomorrow or something.

Thank you
Michael

Don’t worry, your Wine installation won’t be modified. :wink:

What I’m asking you to do is just a bit of tidying/fixes in your sources so you don’t have other issues when installing softwares, but it’s not related to Wine.

After it’s done, you’ll reinstall your printer driver and we’ll quickly look into your blank pages issues, I might know why it happens (I had the same issue on a Brother printer too, so hopefully it’s the same problem).

Okay. Do I assume I’ll be opening a ‘pluma’ file and saving it eventually with all this? Do you want me to save the file in a particular location at all?

emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 162506E7
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.2Idtlk1y7Q/gpg.1.sh --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 162506E7
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available

There’s the result of the first one anyway. I assume no keyserver isn’t a good thing lol.

Will do what I can of the next bits and see what happens… just not sure about the file I’m supposed to be opening and what exactly i’m supposed to do with it… but one step at a time :slight_smile:

M.

Pluma is the MATE text editor. The commands I gave will open existing files, so just save (ctrl + S) after the modifications, it will update these files. Don’t save as different names/locations or anything.

The keyserver issue is not normal. Eventually try with the full key with the following command but it looks like it can’t find the server at all, which is surprising. Are you behind a proxy?

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 709A860A600B9A61FEF5346AFB01CC26162506E7
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

** (pluma:15137): WARNING **: Could not load Pluma repository: Typelib file for namespace 'Pluma', version '1.0' not found

And, it didn’t even leave me with a ‘emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$’ to start the next command with? Can I just type that myself? And I just hit ‘save’ on the pluma file but I’ve still left it open on my desktop.

M.

Yeah, don’t worry about the warning. It opened Pluma with the file, right? If that’s the case, make the edits, save the file (ctrl + S) and close Pluma (I didn’t say it because I thought it was obvious), you’ll get back to the command line.

When you run a command in the terminal, you can’t continue until it finishes. So, when opening Pluma, it “locks” the terminal until you close it.
It’s possible to run commands and get the input back but you’ll see this later. :slight_smile:

emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Hit:2 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates InRelease             
Hit:3 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports InRelease           
Get:4 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security InRelease [78.6 kB]    
Hit:5 archive.canonical.com/ubuntu artful InRelease                     
Hit:7 deb.playonlinux.com xenial InRelease                              
Hit:8 dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu artful InRelease                
Ign:9 download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable  InRelease                
Get:6 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease [15.9 kB]
Get:10 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [2,924 B]
Hit:11 download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable  Release                 
Err:6 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease 
  The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY FB01CC26162506E7
Get:13 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [10.4 kB]
W: GPG error: ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY FB01CC26162506E7
E: The repository 'ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Multiple http:// deletes again. Did i run the command you wanted me to, or did I run the wrong one?

M.

It seems to be ok for the Wine repo. There’s still the issue with the MATE repo. Have you tried the apt-key command that I gave 4 messages above, with the long key? Are you behind a proxy?

And I really have no idea about a ‘proxy’. I installed from a DVD. The ISO file I took was the first one they put back online after all the issues with the laptops failing. . The installation itself seemed to go really smoothly. But I haven’t been able to do any updates/refreshes on the repos from the boutique like i said, it just gives me error messages.

Ugh, the software updater system wants me to update ‘simple scan’ - not a problem?

And, it’s 1am here lol… I’m getting a tad weary… old age ain’t wonderful lol. And, I’m sure the forum is gonna shut me down very, very soon lol… it doesn’t like ‘newbies’ lol

Cheers
M.

emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 709A860A600B9A61FEF5346AFB01CC26162506E7
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.DDCIhCGdQf/gpg.1.sh --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 709A860A600B9A61FEF5346AFB01CC26162506E7
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available

Another failure here I guess?

Don’t use the software updater for now, we’ll update in command line to check if everything is ok.

A proxy is a kinf of server that acts as a filter on the internet connection. If you’re on a personal connection, you shouldn’t have one but it’s possible if you’re on a public connection (like university, enterprise, public wifi or something like that). The fact that the Software Boutique doesn’t work and apt-key can’t find the keyserver makes me think that you’re behin one (as proxies block certain websites, certain protocols, etc.).

For the MATE repo, we’ll try something else (and we can continue later, there’s no rush):

1. Launch the Pluma text editor from your applications menu;
  2. Go to https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFB01CC26162506E7
  3. Paste the content of the page from “-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----” to “-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----” (i.e don’t include the title that says “Public Key Server – Get 0xfb01cc26162506e7”) to Pluma and save the file where you want with the name you want;
  4. Open the MATE Control Center → Software & Updates. Go into the Authentication tab, click on “import key file” and select the file you saved at point 3.

When it’s done, try to reload the sources again to see if it’s ok:

sudo apt-get update
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-get update
Hit:2 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates InRelease             
Hit:3 au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports InRelease           
Hit:4 dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu artful InRelease                
Hit:5 archive.canonical.com/ubuntu artful InRelease                     
Hit:6 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security InRelease              
Hit:7 deb.playonlinux.com xenial InRelease                              
Get:8 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful InRelease [15.9 kB]
Ign:9 download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable  InRelease              
Hit:10 download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable  Release
Get:12 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful/main Sources [636 B]
Get:13 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages [676 B]
Get:14 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful/main i386 Packages [676 B]
Get:15 ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu artful/main Translation-en [256 B]
Fetched 18.1 kB in 4s (3,710 B/s)        

Lots of http deletes again obviously. Does that look any better. I have no bloody idea lol. At least it isn’t showing error messages lol.

M.

I really have to go to bed, terzag… I’m stuffed lol… hope you don’t mind?

It’s almost 1.30am here. Tomorrow night I’m judging at an agility trial so I probably won’t get back till quite late. I’ll either be exhausted or on a high after the trial lol.

Ciao till then.

M.

Yep, that’s far better.

A bit of information about what we’ve done: when you add a repository to your sources, it needs a certificate to authenticate (to tell the system “it’s ok to use it”). With repos on Launchpad (PPA), it’s automatically done when you add them through add-apt-repository. For some reason, the MATE repo (that was added through the Welcome screen I guess) was unable to add the certificate as it seems that your system can’t contact the server that handles them. So I’ve just made you download the certificate and add it manually through the Softwares & Updates application.

We still don’t know why you can’t have access to the key server and why the Software Boutique doesn’t work, it would be a good idea to look a bit more deeply into this. But it can wait for tomorrow.

Anyway, the next step will be to do the available upgrades:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Do this when you have time, there’s no rush, I’ll get a notification when you reply.

emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  cabextract icoutils libieee1284-3:i386 libmspack0 libwxbase3.0-0v5
  libwxgtk3.0-0v5 python-wxgtk3.0 python-wxversion
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libparted2 parted simple-scan
3 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 0 B/334 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 334873 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../parted_3.2-18ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking parted (3.2-18ubuntu0.1) over (3.2-18) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libparted2_3.2-18ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libparted2:amd64 (3.2-18ubuntu0.1) over (3.2-18) ...
Preparing to unpack .../simple-scan_3.26.3-0ubuntu0.17.10.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking simple-scan (3.26.3-0ubuntu0.17.10.0) over (3.26.1-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libparted2:amd64 (3.2-18ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.54.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:i386 (2.54.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up parted (3.2-18ubuntu0.1) ...
Setting up simple-scan (3.26.3-0ubuntu0.17.10.0) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3+17.10.20170810-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.26-0ubuntu2.1) ...
Processing triggers for udev (234-2ubuntu12.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu5) ...

Seems like it has done quite a lot of upgrading there… more than just simple scan anyway lol!
Thank you very much again… I’ve just woken up lol 7.30am here.

Cheers
Michael

64 posts were split to a new topic: Assistance on getting Brother printer to work

To actually fix the original issue with libsane that blocked you from installing Wine:

sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="–force-overwrite" install --reinstall libsane1:i386

I wouldn’t have even ‘known’ it was libsane that blocked the initial WINE installation. I know we have been playing around with it… but I’ve just been following ‘orders’ lol. The website instructions are all pretty specific and seem logical to me, so I was surprised when it didn’t ‘just’ work. Still, it is installed now and I’m able to play with my Windows Dog Agility Course Designer program so it’s all good lol.

The printers are, of course, a different issue altogether lol.

I do like how Ubuntu Mate 17.10 works overall though, from install through to general operation, it’s a very nice distro. Probably a bit more straightforward than the other distros I’ve tried… but they’ve all had their good/bad points. It will just be a matter of what distro works best overall for my system in the long run. Really looking forward to trying 18.04 LTS. But, I do plan to have more than one distro installed eventually - one main one and at least three others on my old computer that I can play with. Hopefully, I will eventually be able to get rid of Windows and its issues forever lol.

Cheers
Michael