Looking for translators for Ubuntu MATE Welcome

I Can help with the Italian translation. I lived in england for more then 3 years, so I have no problems with translations :grinning:

1 Like

Hi, I can help with the Chinese translation. I lived in Taiwan for many many years:)

1 Like

Hello,

I really liked the Ubuntu Mate, so I want to help. I can translate do portuguese. How can I do that?

Hi everyone. @robint99 is currently integrating the translation framework. As soon as things are ready, we’ll let you folks know.

Thank you again for expressing your interest! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!!!
I am using Ubuntu Mate for a about a year now (love it), i can translate to/from Portuguese.

Hi everyone. Welcome is now ready to become multilingual to speak any language around the world! Thank you again to @robint99 for developing the framework.

I’ve written a complete guide, so if you are entirely new to translating, we’ve got you covered. :slightly_smiling:

Sadly, Transifex isn’t being used for this software. :neutral_face:

For translations to be included for the 16.04 release, please complete them before 07 April 2016.

1 Like

This also presents a great opportunity if you’d like to work together (via PM) to translate, as some of you speak the same languages and could end up duplicating some of the work. :wink:

@wolfman - German
@Aluxandria - French
@wizd3m - Dutch
@Danny3 - Romanian
@Asta1986 and @javicule - Spanish
@Xamineh - Brazilian Portuguese
@CarlosOFF and @Paulo.C - Portuguese
@Giacomo_Nicolini - Italian
@s585448 - Chinese

9 possible languages already! Who’ll proposed the 10th? :wink:

2 Likes

Hi!
I can translate to hungarian.
Great guide by the way.

1 Like

Hi everybody, i’m going to post this here because it may interest some of you. It’s a question for @Wimpy, @lah7, … The name of the application is Welcome, right? However, when you say “welcome”, do you mean “Welcome Harry!” or “We gave a welcome to Harry”? This is a bit tricky in spanish, hehe, i don’t know if the rest have been wondering this for other languages.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/welcome

I already know what “welcome” means, the thing is that in spanish you can translate this in two ways, so i just want to know the real meaning to choose the best translation

If you read through the link above; it explains the full meaning!. :smiley:

Good question, language can be interesting.

It’s more of a “Welcome to Ubuntu MATE!” - the noun form of “welcome” where you give a warm hello to somebody. It sounds more like the form “Welcome Harry!”.

Currently, the launcher in Spanish reads Bienvenido, I don’t know if that’s correct?

1 Like

Thank you very much @lah7 for the quick and useful answer, and yes, currently, the launcher reads Bienvenido, i just wanted to make sure that was the idea you wanted to express :smiley:.

2 Likes

Oh, setting up the workspace looks a bit intimidating to me as I’m quite the newbie linux user. I’ll do it step by step as @lah7 explains in his guide :slightly_smiling:

Edit: Alright I’ve started translating. I have a (couple of) question though :
Translating the following sentence : “Fixing incomplete install succeeded” In french I would write “La tentative de correction de l’installation a réussi” using “la tentative” to me seems accurate because ubuntu-mate is actually “trying” to correct the incomplete install. Also if I don’t use that word I have to write it very differently mentioning the OS “le système a réussi a corriger l’installation incomplète”.

Why do I keep using the verb “réussir” ? Because it’s an accurate translation of “to succeed” and it’s short, there are other translations but they’re longer and of course they’re the accurate translation of the next items not particularly this one :confounded:

Edit 2 : I made a first commit to my bitbucket (welcome, splash, index), this is really the first time working with repositories and doing translations outside of school so I’m a bit exstatic :wink:

hi everyone, stupid question, where can i find the "Create New Translation" button in the poedit?

here's mine:

this is from the guide:(new users only can put one image in a post.....so please refer to the link down below)
PNG

It looks like some of those strings are already translated (looking at the status bar at the bottom)

Was this already there when you started? If the source and destination strings are English (US spelling) to English (UK spelling), then this probably opened the en-GB translation.

Those “already translated” strings is made by myself cause I was trying to figure it out how to make poedit look like in the guide you described, but I think my poedit version is different from yours. Maybe ubuntu’s default repository is outdated.

For those who are using 1.5.4 version of poedit or can’t find the “Create New Translation” button, here’s my tips:
Click File->New catalog from POT file…->navigate to the pot files inside every folder and select it->edit the “Project name and version” and “Language”(otherwise poedit don’t allow you translate except English lol)->save it as a po file->enjoy your translation!

Although I’ve solved it by myself, thank you lah7 anyway!

1 Like

I noticed my fork of Ubuntu Welcome was behind on quite a few commits. I synced it, then rebased my local copy and updated my translation using the “update from pot” option. Did I do it the right way ? :sweat:

Edit: One file ended up garbled. I corrected that…

@Aluxandria, from what I can see, your translations look like they’ll be in good working order. :thumbsup: I’m not sure why the character encoding had changed after merging the latest changes upstream (hence the garbled text)

I didn’t know there was an “update from pot” option. I’ll update the guide and link @s585448’s notes for older versions of Poedit – which version of Ubuntu MATE by the way?

Thank you all for your efforts. :slight_smile:

1 Like