More locations on Mate clock & weather applet?

Wanted to put my location(Humacao, Puerto Rico) on the calendar and weather applets so that I could get my info, but it seems my location is not available, only a couple of places on the island to be honest. Is this applet still getting locations added? I know that there are a lot of programs that I can get to solve my problem, but I wanted it to work with what is already available and not download extra stuff.

4 Likes

Indeed. The default weather applet in Ubuntu Mate is seriously limited. I would even say, terrible!
And it doesn’t allow us to choose a different source, so we can’t even hope to configure it to pull out weather information from better servers with a wider coverage of the planet areas. It’s virtually useless to most regions particularly in Africa and Asia, but also South America.

I’m currently trying to write an applet that reads from http://wttr.in/ by default and that I hope to become my first contribution to Ubuntu-MATE. wtrr.in gets its data from World Weather Online. But I plan to support a couple more servers. However it’s been slow, since I have a few other priorities that I can’t skip at this time.

Meanwhile, you can also use wttr.in at the command prompt:

$ curl http://wttr.in/humacao

Will get you weather data on your lovely city and its great beaches.See https://github.com/chubin/wttr.in for other possible ways to express a location. You can alias that command, or with some python scripting put that information in your panel with the help of the Command applet.

3 Likes

You also can install myweather-indicator who works great on Mate

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/04/weather-indicator-desktop-widget-ubuntu-16-04/

on my desktop

5 Likes

Didn’t know about that wttr site. its adorable. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I dont really know anything about python, but I’m hoping that changes in a couple of months when I start to learn the language.

Good luck with your applet. Would it be possible to also get the Air Quality Index? I remember I saw someone here asking about it, and that would be a nice feature for users in Asia, and on areas that the air pollution is high.

@Tristan_VILLERS Thanks for that recommendation, will have to use this one in case there is no improvements for mate weather applet. Was hoping to use what is already there. :slight_smile:

Oh, noticed its from the guy who made Antiviral. Wonder if that Caja loop error was because of the program or caja, might put an issue about it if it was Antiviral.

Wow! I was just lamenting over how the built-in weather application was embarrassing. Then I spotted this post. Excellent timing!

Among the default weather app’s failings: the Radar Map view doesn’t work if we live outside the US of A. It works if the user can locate a regularly updated GIF file. This is near impossible since most online weather maps use layered images with Google Maps for their base. While not impossible, it is a demanding task for the new Mate user.

I can vouch that the “my-weather-indicator” works very well with Ubuntu Mate. The application offers four sources to supply our weather info: Open Weather Map and Yahoo are available directly from the preferences menu, while Wunderground.com and World Weather Online require codes to activate them.

Overall, I rate this applet an easy 9.6/10

Thank you. I had forgotten about that program. It is working perfectly in Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

I’ll raise another possibility. In the recent issue with the Weather Applet, we learned how the sites for conditions and forecasts are hard-coded which many will agree is a bad situation.

For many years, I’ve been using a custom RADAR URL well… because I can.:grinning: Why not add custom conditions and forecasts in a similar manner? I’m no expert but it appears formatting is more standard than I thought.

Also, does the Clock’s weather ever work? I remember years ago finding the Weather Applet and never used the Clock’s weather again. I still can’t get it working!

Re: “Also, does the Clock’s weather ever work? I remember years ago finding the Weather Applet and never used the clock’s weather again. I still can’t get it working!”

The clock’s weather (temperature) worked for a time on my PC. I just tested it now and I’m getting nothing displaying near the clock.

The “Weather Report” panel applet is not working either (the one not attached to the clock). But that might be a temporary matter. I would like some kind of decent app that connects to “Accuweather”. They give decent forecasts.

You’re welcome !!! :wink: