My desktop today

I fell in love with the Big Sur GUI, and I decided to port it over for Ubuntu MATE 21.04 Hirsute Hippo Desktop.

Nautilus from ubuntu-desktop looks closer to Big Sur's Finder than Caja, so I use that.

It looks very good, and one of my favorite Desktop layouts I did! (I use Cupertino)

Some things I'm still working on, but that's for the most part. ^w^

4 Likes

I eagerly await Yaru Colors for Ubuntu MATE 20.04, but here's my current setup as of right now. Much better than the Parallels VM it was in before!

6 Likes

I couldn't wait. :joy: I decide to pull the source code from GitHub and compile it locally. Though I didn't realize just how much padding the Yaru theme has, I absolutely love the look with the purple color.

4 Likes

I'm not much of an artist. My desktop layout is thus designed for practicality and not for appearance. Here is is, specifically:

On my i386 (not 64-bit capable Intel-esque) systems, I use Debian Bullseye (considered "unstable" at the moment) and Gentoo; on 64-bit systems, I gleefully use Ubuntu MATE as well as the other two. This desktop layout is designed to be portable between the three distributions -- Ubuntu MATE has a lot of customizations to the stock MATE desktop, whereas Debian and Gentoo have barely any. It is important to me to have a desktop that is portable between the three distros since I do a lot of testing of "upstream" MATE components; I like to make sure that stuff works on all distributions, not just one that I personally favor.

To wit, the theme is TraditionalOk (pretty plain vanilla); the icon theme is the plain MATE icon theme; the panel layout is pretty much the bog-standard MATE panel layout, but with a "Shut Down" button on the right side of the top panel, a system monitor somewhere around the center of the top panel, and no Trash icon at the right of the bottom panel. I like the user interface to be GNOME 2-esque, as well. The cursor theme is the standard X cursor theme used as a fallback when nothing else is available. Furhtermore, the window manager is Marco and compositing is disabled, for the fastest (but not necessarily best-looking) experience.

I designed the desktop background myself, and this is probably the most artistic part of the desktop. It is supposed to show three layers of steel wire fencing at dawn. It is supposed to be a motivator, a symbol that freedom from closed-source is only three steel fences away, and we'll soon have the light to find our way out. To me, this is a major motiviating factor (among other factors) that helps me stick with open-source software despite all the frustrations one must endure. In the end, functionality and stability are useful, but we can bring functionality and stability to open-source, once we jump the fences.

Oh yeah. And the insane number of locations in the clock applet is because I often find myself interacting with other users who may be on the other side of the planet. (Literally.) When I'm providing support to an Australian, I like to know that they're unlikely to respond to my post until it's at least, say, 18:00 in my location. It can get hard to juggle all these locations around, and not everywhere I go there is an automatic conversion between time zones -- this forum might show us what time zone users are in, but on IRC someone will tell you they're on Indian Time and then I have to remember to add nine-and-a-half hours to my time.

7 Likes

How do you add more than a single time location in Ubuntu MATE? (just like your screenshot)

Open the calendar by clicking on the clock button on the panel. Open the Locations section near the bottom of the popup window (sometimes it's at the top of the window). Next to the Locations expander is an Edit button, which allows you to edit the list of locations displayed. Click that button, and window should show up, ready for you to add locations:

Click the Add button, and enter the name of a location to add to the list. A list of possible locations matching your search terms should appear; choose a suitable one. Simply typing the location name and then dismissing the window does not work; you must select a location from the list of possible matches, like this:

locations_pulldown

After selecting a location, click OK to add the location to the list. Repeat this process for each location you want to add.

3 Likes

Mate desktop (UM 20.04 + Yaru-Mate theme + Conky) :

1 Like

Here is mine for last couple months. Maybe it’s time to change

2 Likes

Yep cause these days they don't need a mask and she does
:rofl:

3 Likes

Why the onscreen keyboard? Is this running on some sort of tablet or convertable?

Because I'm lazy and many times I'm lying in bed and I do not want to get up to write something :rofl:

1 Like

Not the best design, but well it works tm.
EDIT here it is:

1 Like

Frieder_Saugschmerle how about providing more details? What theme are you using.

1 Like

@Drc thx for asking,- edited the post

Thanks. I'm going to try it out. Really like the color.

@Drc
Dit xyou try it?.
Hope you like it.

This morning i was working on another thing, inspired by an unfinished windows design.

Final theme name will be 22-04-Candy.

Cupertino ui in a Redmond manner

1 Like

My setup, Pantheon with MC-OS-Mojave theme, minus the bottom panel - Plank dock instead.
Variety Wallpaper Changer installed. Clock/Weather widget from my-weather-indicator, stats by conky. I have just recently swapped out the Gnome icon for a MATE one. Oh yeah, I use Nitrux icon theme.

I have since switched File manager to Caja.

2 Likes

Just Ubuntu-Mate Yaru-Dark, with the traditional layout (my favorite layout), and the Ubuntu Unity wallaper (nice one !) :