Running out of diskspace

Hi, is there a good workaround for Linux to remove an old windows partition and use this space for the existing Linux Ubuntu mate partition.

I am running out of space and i have got 215GB of Windows space not used for a year now. :wink:
No dual boot, after reboot Linux starts up

Thank you

GParted is a great tool for managing partitions. You’ll need to boot into the live session (via DVD/USB) as you cannot modify the partitions on a running system.

The tool can be found on the live session under Adminstration -> GParted. In there you can delete the Windows partition and then expand Ubuntu MATE to use the entire disk. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you want to use the new space for storage or for the whole system?, take a look at the partition guide which might give you an idea or two:

1 Like

Probably not a concern right now, but gparted can be install to HDD like any other iso.

http://gparted.org/livehd.php

4 Likes

i want it for the whole system. just as easy

Oh, that’s nice. So, I can have a Gparted partition that I can boot into when I want to do some hard drive housekeeping.

Nice.

There are also packages (iso) out there that include gparted plus others. If I remember right, the clonezilla iso also includes gparted.

well the live cd works, got now 298,6 GB free on a partition but still struggling to get this unallocated free space completely for using for mine present linux

Partitioning can be time consuming.

If you have no need for ANY data or files on the unused Windows area I suggest using it for your data. If it were me I would partition it ext4 (provided there’s no need for ANY Windows sharing) to use it for data. I suggest not trying to expand the partition used for Linux, but rather have it as an additional partition (or two) for storage. Using extra data partitions should be seemless because they will auto mount on boot.

Regards,
Pefe

I would backup all my data and completely start from scratch and create 3 partitions per my partition guide (swap, root and home):

I think your right. one thing is for sure Windows got this partition option better covered
For a simple user is this not nice to do.

1 Like

If you follow the partition guide and you ever have to re-install, you can keep all your data intact by not formatting home using the “Something Else Method”: