Software Updater and apt update

I noticed today that running Software Updater found 1 package to be updated, which I ran, Then I happened to run sudo apt update and it found 8 updates which 5 were installed and 3 kept back. My question is why the Software Updater did not find all the updates? On the development version (23.04) I have the exact same issue. I filed that as a bug, but wanted to know if anyone else has this issue> I usually do not use Software Updater and run updates from terminal.

Yes, I've noticed that too on occasion. I don't worry about it but if I want the system up to date I use the the terminal and apt.

I think it has to do with security updates and version updates being different or I can make up stuff in my mind. It would be interesting to know the reason though.

I had the same question here. The updates eventually cleared.

Continuing the discussion from Software Updater and apt update:

Used Software Updater today and it installed new kernels and overwrote grub.cfg making Linux 5.19.0-1021-lowlatency the default kernel.

I did not request the installation of the low latency kernel which had the result of my machine hanging.

The new kernels are listed in grub.cfg in the following order:

1. Linux 5.19.0-1021-lowlatency
  2. Linux 5.19.0-1019-oracle
  3. Linux 5.19.0-38-generic

Linux 5.19.0-38-generic is the only one of the three that works properly on my 4K monitor. You have to make it the default in grub.cfg. So it looks like a graphics issue. The oracle kernel gives very low resolution which is virtually unuseable.

Hi, @MaxwellHunt

Do you have an NVIDIA graphics card and are you using the NVIDIA drivers, by any chance? I'm asking that because I've found a few reports (discussions and at least one bug report) that eventually lead to the conclusion that some NVIDIA driver updates are wrongly automatically installing the "-lowlatency" and the "-oracle" Linux kernels.

Discussions:

"Reddit - r/Kubuntu - Update installed wrong kernels (oracle, lowlatency). Default boot does not work anymore. How do I fix this?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/comments/10fxoku/update_installed_wrong_kernels_oracle_lowlatency/

Bug Report:

2 Likes

Thanks ricmarques for your response.
Yes, I have an NVIDIA graphics card and I use NVIDIA drivers currently 470
I stay away from the latest driver as it has often got me into low resolution hell in the past
Thanks again for including the discussion as I learned how to purge unwanted images, ran autoremove and update-grub2 and the unwanted kernels are now gone from grub.cfg

2 Likes

You're quite welcome, Maxwell :slight_smile: I'm glad that my reply was useful to you. Thank you for having replied and for explaining how you ended up solving your issue (by purging the unwanted linux kernel images, then running apt autoremove and then running update-grub2).

1 Like

Packages are being deployed gradually to avoid spreading regressions. It's advisable to use "apt upgrade", ignoring kept back packages.

3 Likes