System restarts when I open a pdf from my SSD Ext Hard Drive

I set up a Ubuntu Mate 22.04 LTS on my 2008 Aspire Desktop and use a Samsung SSD for an external hard drive, and I go to double click any pdf on it or in my Ubuntu Mate and the system crashes, logs me out, (which I don't set, it's never supposed to log me out) and restarts to the login screen. Anyone have any idea why that might be? Oh, the main file system I used for the SSD is NTSF from my Widow 11 OS, and as soon as I have a decent Linux operating system, I am going to end the relationship with MicroTheft. Shortly after relogging in for about the eighth time, there was an error message that said there was an internal error and they wanted to send info to Ubuntu Mate devs. Be advised I am not a technical person with the Linux systems yet.

1 Like

Welcome @jame to the community!

1 Like

Thank you Bombilla!!!

1 Like

Are you saying you did a fresh install of MATE and every time you double click a pdf, any pdf, it exhibits the behavior you describe?

If not, did it ever work and now it doesn't?

1 Like

Hi, thank you for responding; yes, indeed, that is exactly what I am saying. I just installed Ubuntu Mate 22.04 LTS and I've played a couple of videos, opened docs in LibreOffice, and everything seems to be working well.
Last night I opened the pdfs by doing the right click and opening in Firefox, but that is the only way I can view pdfs as they require a double click to open in the regular Linux document viewer, and I don't know how to change it to make everything single click yet. And every time I double click any pdf, it logs me out and restarts, and I have to log in. When I set it up, I set it to log me in automatically at firing it up.

When you right click on a pdf you should get a window with the first entry being Open with Atril Document Viewer. What happens when you click on that option?

If it opens without problems, I would guess the double click is associated with a different program. To change back to Atril being the default then right click on the pdf:

Open With -> Other Application ... ->

Check box should be checked, Then choose Atril Document Viewer if that is what you want (it's the default).

That's what I would do in your situation.

1 Like

Good morning mdd12! Hope you're having an awesome day!
I just did it both ways, I've just had to log in 4 times, even if I try to open the pdf straight up, it logs me out and restarts. I just double checked it, and it logged me out and restarted. The only way I can read the pdf is open in firefox with right click and choose Firefox. Atril will not open it.
Double-click and it logs me out, and straight up right-clicking and open with Atril logs me out and restarts.

All I'm left with is some kind of corruption with the software or a hardware problem (don't know why). A fresh install should rule out the first.

If it's a HW problem, well, best of luck.

Perhaps others can help.

1 Like

Thank you for the analysis, I'm not ruling out anything, I just tried and it opened a pdf in LibreOffice Draw program, but everything else seems to make it log me out and restart.
Everything else in the system is working okay though, but I'll try reinstalling it again in the next couple of days.
Thank you so much for the suggestions as well mdd12!

Hi, @jame (James) :slight_smile:

There are several reports, here in the Ubuntu MATE Community discussion forums, of computers that have an "Intel HD Graphics" card running Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS ("Jammy Jellyfish") where the graphical session "crashes" leading to a blank screen / black screen with a blinking cursor that then leads again to the Ubuntu MATE login screen. The good news is that in one of those discussions - Ubuntu Mate 22.04 auto ending Sessions when I do something specific - the user @esan_br (Elias Andrade), that has a "Dell Latitude E6410" with an "Intel HD Graphics" as its Graphics card, solved the issue that was happening to him (MATE crash that took him back to the login screen), in "Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS" ("Jammy Jellyfish") by:

1 - Creating a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

2 - Putting the following content in that file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

3 - And then rebooting the computer.

Link to that post from @esan_br that he wrote on 1st October 2022:

In that same discussion, the user @Ygor6889 (Ygor Oliveira Silva), that also has a computer with an "Intel HD Graphics" video card, says that @esanbr's solution worked for him as well:

So, @jame : if your computer also has an "Intel HD Graphics" card, it may be worth a shot to create that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file with the content that I mentioned above to see if that solves the issue in your computers. Please, reply later again, in this same topic where we are now, to tell if that solution also worked for you (or didn't work), as it can be useful for other people that are having the same problem.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you soo much for the info Ricmarques, I got wound up and antsy and learned from someone in the forum (I think I really like this place hahahaha) how to upgrade to the next version, and I started that, but I see from the first entry you gave me that it won't matter what OS I put on here, until I take care of the Intel graphics, I will likely face the same issue, so I will be making that .conf after this system settles down and is finished. I'm not even sure what version this upgrade goes to, I don't think it's going to be a LTS since I have the 22.04 already, and I'm guessing Ubuntu Mate 24.04 is not out quite yet, but since my system is an antique I sort of didn't want to overload it. I will get back with whatever happens in the next day or so to update you, thank you again so much for the research you did!!!
I do still have my USB if this upgrade doesn't end well and I'll try it again with the 22.04, we'll have to see what happens!
James

1 Like

I did it in their Pluma text editor and hit save and it says I don't have sufficient permissions necessary to save the file.

Hi again, @jame :slight_smile:

You wrote:

Ah, right! To open "Pluma" with administrator (superuser) privileges, I suggest that you open "MATE Terminal" (it's located in the "System Tools" section of the MATE menu). When the Terminal window opens, run the following command inside that window:

sudo pluma /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

That command should prompt you to enter your password. After you enter your password, it should open Pluma as a superuser and put you inside a new empty file called "20-intel.conf" inside the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/" folder. Copy and paste the lines that I wrote in my previous message inside that empty file. Here are those lines again, for easier reference:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Save the file in Pluma, exit Pluma and then reboot the computer. After the reboot, log in again with your user and try again to open the PDF file from the SSD external hard drive, to see if this solved your problem of being automatically logged out when you open those PDF files. Please, report again later to tell us if doing that has solved (or not) your issue :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you again Ricmarques, I will definitely put this in in a few minutes, I will be back in a little bit with the results!!!!

1 Like

It is telling me "command not found" Ricmarques. Then I opened Pluma in Superuser, went to xorg.conf.d/ and saved the 20-intel.conf but the file is read only, so somewhere I never got the permissions straight I guess. Add a house full of people and it's all a blur hahahahaha!!!
So, there is a text file called 20-intel.conf in xorg.conf.d and it's read-only.

Sooo, here is the final verdict: it majorly worked!!! It took me a while to get the text into the file, everytime I started to type in the .conf file, it would do it's restart thing and go back to the login. I just kept on it, and figured out how to change the permissions since it was read only, and I learned that but never used it so forgot how to do it. But now it's done, and everything seems to work fine, did a syschk on it and it came up clean, I have 1 bad sector on the computer and the file check cleared it as not being a major problem. Thank you so much for the research you did and the suggestions, it was right on the money, but I just had to get it to where those adjustments could be made. Thanks again Ricmarques!

3 Likes