Ubuntu MATE 16.04 is now Released!

@Aluxandria, You came so close! Officially announced :smiley:

3 Likes

Installed. Looking good!

3 Likes

I got the ISO & am going to wait till the weekend to first try the upgrade route, then if that doesnā€™t fix my non working default AMD driver issue, then do a full install. :wink:

Weird thing is, I had no problem using unetbootin & the ISO image on my flash drive, but Brasero (at the lowest burn speed) just wouldnā€™t burn my DVD-R disc properly (kept giving error messages), but XFBURN worked just fine at the lowest burn speed.

2 Likes

Hi @SantaFe,

please see this thread before you decide to try and install any AMD drivers!:

1 Like

Scratching head time 10+ mins

1 Like

I did, but I only have the one graphics card, an (AMD/ATI) Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 R5 250 [OEM] that came with my 2006 Dell, so the open source drivers are fine. Was hoping the update would fix the open source problem, which it did! :wink:

4 Likes

I installed it last night and did a fresh install using my trusty "Something else method". The only problems I encountered were:

the package linux-firmware-nonfree wasn't in the repo? (I have a package (ver: 1.8) in my deb packages folder which solved that for me).

I cannot install Google Earth 64 bit version due to a lack of dependencies? (I will work on that!).

Everything else is working fine as far as I can tell!. :smiley:

You got me beat. I havenā€™t even downloaded the ISO.

I have partitioning to do and for me it is easier to set up disks using gparted instead of the something else method :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oddly enough, I was having a thunk (as opposed to thinking!) last night and thought that I should add info about how to partition while using the something else method, I just need to grab an old HDD and do a few screen shots which could then explain how people can partition while installing, the only drawback being is that the partitions might not be recognised and a reboot would be needed!. :smiley:

1 Like

When I built my latest PC a couple of months ago, I decided to make it so upgrading was as painless as possible. I have a 250GB SSD for the OS and Swap. I have an 2TB hard disk for /home and just for good measure I also have another 2TB hard disk for backup.

I partitioned the SSD with Gparted so there was a small partition for booting, mounted at /boot/efi, a 16GB Linux Swap partition at the end of the drive, with the rest as Ext4 mounted as /

I had Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 x64 on this and yesterday, after copying the 16.04 ISO to a USB stick, I booted into the installer and chose ā€˜Something Elseā€™. I left /boot/efi and the Linux Swap partitions alone and clicked ā€˜Changeā€™ for the partition that contained 15.10. I selected ā€˜format partitionā€™ in there and mount to ā€˜/ā€™.

I also clicked ā€˜Changeā€™ on both 2TB hard disks and set them to mount as /home and /backup respectively.

I then proceed with the installation, which is very quick on the SSD drive.

Once finished, the PC is restarted and very quickly, I get to my login screen. I login then recreate the other users on my system (I created a list beforehand, ensuring they were created in the same order so that each gets the same User ID).

I then reinstall any software I had previously.

Because the personal settings for each user is stored in their home folders, the software just works. For example, Thunderbird is already configured because each userā€™s settings are already there. This goes for other software too.

Very painless!

I prefer to do a clean install as I have had problems with upgrading in the past.

2 Likes

16.04 signing in with Live CD.
sha1sum checks out and ready to roll.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œwolfman, post:42, topic:5169ā€]
ā€¦I was having a thunk (as opposed to thinking!) last night and thought that I should add info about how to partition while using the something else methodā€¦ ā€¦only drawback being is that the partitions might not be recognised and a reboot would be needed!.:smiley:[/quote]
Alternatively, consider a section using GParted to create partitions before beginning the installation process? I like this method as itā€™s far simpler to understand a drives layout, and partitions are ready to roll as installation begins. :slight_smile:

Hope you didnā€™t ā€œthunkā€ too hard, heard it can be quite taxing?! :smiley:

2 Likes

You mean something like this Dave?:

2 Likes

Great! :slight_smile:

How about a GParted overview (with a link to your full GParted guide) added as a possible first step on your installation guide? Something likeā€¦ Before you begin installation, if partition changes are neededā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

it was actually at the bottom of the guide and I moved it to the top!. :smiley:

3 Likes

Beware of using the ā€œSomething elseā€ method with UEFI systems. It took me three times before I had a booting Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I was switching from the BIOS world. The first two tries was specifying ā€œ/ā€ as the entire SSD without swap, the third attempt was unplugging my HDD data drive (ā€œjust in caseā€) and using the ā€œErase diskā€ option ā€“ then deleting the swap afterwards.

I havenā€™t grasped what I was missing, but it needs a (U)EFI boot partition and some additional steps if using ā€œSomething elseā€ method on a new, blank UEFI system. Thatā€™s a little something that the guides are missing. :wink:

2 Likes

I set up my SSD using Gparted prior to installation, creating /boot/efi, an EXT4 partition and Linux Swap. Then when I ran the installer (UEFI from a USB stick), I selected ā€œSomething elseā€ and ensured the EXT4 partition was mounted as ā€œ/ā€. I already had "/homeā€™ on another disk and just had to ensure it was mounted as that. Iā€™ve done this a few times now and had no problems at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Steve. I had another look at Ubiquity and just discovered there is an option to format a partition as ā€œEFI System Partitionā€, so that explains why it didnā€™t boot the first two times and where to set one on a clean UEFI system in future. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m surprised Ubiquity didnā€™t ask me ā€œAre you sure you donā€™t need a EFI partition?ā€ like it does with swap. :confounded:

3 Likes

Hi Luke,

thanks for the heads up, I have added this bit at the beginning of the guide as I personally donā€™t have any UEFI systems with which I can replicate the situation!:

People who have a PC/Notebook with UEFI, please see this link before commencing as it may be necessary to add a UEFI partition to your partition layout!!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

2 Likes