Ubuntu MATE 16.04 is now Released!

@Aluxandria, You came so close! Officially announced :smiley:

3 Likes

Installed. Looking good!

3 Likes

I got the ISO & am going to wait till the weekend to first try the upgrade route, then if that doesn’t fix my non working default AMD driver issue, then do a full install. :wink:

Weird thing is, I had no problem using unetbootin & the ISO image on my flash drive, but Brasero (at the lowest burn speed) just wouldn’t burn my DVD-R disc properly (kept giving error messages), but XFBURN worked just fine at the lowest burn speed.

2 Likes

Hi @SantaFe,

please see this thread before you decide to try and install any AMD drivers!:

1 Like

Scratching head time 10+ mins

1 Like

I did, but I only have the one graphics card, an (AMD/ATI) Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 R5 250 [OEM] that came with my 2006 Dell, so the open source drivers are fine. Was hoping the update would fix the open source problem, which it did! :wink:

4 Likes

I installed it last night and did a fresh install using my trusty "Something else method". The only problems I encountered were:

the package linux-firmware-nonfree wasn't in the repo? (I have a package (ver: 1.8) in my deb packages folder which solved that for me).

I cannot install Google Earth 64 bit version due to a lack of dependencies? (I will work on that!).

Everything else is working fine as far as I can tell!. :smiley:

You got me beat. I haven’t even downloaded the ISO.

I have partitioning to do and for me it is easier to set up disks using gparted instead of the something else method :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oddly enough, I was having a thunk (as opposed to thinking!) last night and thought that I should add info about how to partition while using the something else method, I just need to grab an old HDD and do a few screen shots which could then explain how people can partition while installing, the only drawback being is that the partitions might not be recognised and a reboot would be needed!. :smiley:

1 Like

When I built my latest PC a couple of months ago, I decided to make it so upgrading was as painless as possible. I have a 250GB SSD for the OS and Swap. I have an 2TB hard disk for /home and just for good measure I also have another 2TB hard disk for backup.

I partitioned the SSD with Gparted so there was a small partition for booting, mounted at /boot/efi, a 16GB Linux Swap partition at the end of the drive, with the rest as Ext4 mounted as /

I had Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 x64 on this and yesterday, after copying the 16.04 ISO to a USB stick, I booted into the installer and chose ‘Something Else’. I left /boot/efi and the Linux Swap partitions alone and clicked ‘Change’ for the partition that contained 15.10. I selected ‘format partition’ in there and mount to ‘/’.

I also clicked ‘Change’ on both 2TB hard disks and set them to mount as /home and /backup respectively.

I then proceed with the installation, which is very quick on the SSD drive.

Once finished, the PC is restarted and very quickly, I get to my login screen. I login then recreate the other users on my system (I created a list beforehand, ensuring they were created in the same order so that each gets the same User ID).

I then reinstall any software I had previously.

Because the personal settings for each user is stored in their home folders, the software just works. For example, Thunderbird is already configured because each user’s settings are already there. This goes for other software too.

Very painless!

I prefer to do a clean install as I have had problems with upgrading in the past.

2 Likes

16.04 signing in with Live CD.
sha1sum checks out and ready to roll.

3 Likes

[quote=“wolfman, post:42, topic:5169”]
…I was having a thunk (as opposed to thinking!) last night and thought that I should add info about how to partition while using the something else method… …only drawback being is that the partitions might not be recognised and a reboot would be needed!.:smiley:[/quote]
Alternatively, consider a section using GParted to create partitions before beginning the installation process? I like this method as it’s far simpler to understand a drives layout, and partitions are ready to roll as installation begins. :slight_smile:

Hope you didn’t “thunk” too hard, heard it can be quite taxing?! :smiley:

2 Likes

You mean something like this Dave?:

2 Likes

Great! :slight_smile:

How about a GParted overview (with a link to your full GParted guide) added as a possible first step on your installation guide? Something like… Before you begin installation, if partition changes are needed

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

it was actually at the bottom of the guide and I moved it to the top!. :smiley:

3 Likes

Beware of using the “Something else” method with UEFI systems. It took me three times before I had a booting Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I was switching from the BIOS world. The first two tries was specifying “/” as the entire SSD without swap, the third attempt was unplugging my HDD data drive (“just in case”) and using the “Erase disk” option – then deleting the swap afterwards.

I haven’t grasped what I was missing, but it needs a (U)EFI boot partition and some additional steps if using “Something else” method on a new, blank UEFI system. That’s a little something that the guides are missing. :wink:

2 Likes

I set up my SSD using Gparted prior to installation, creating /boot/efi, an EXT4 partition and Linux Swap. Then when I ran the installer (UEFI from a USB stick), I selected “Something else” and ensured the EXT4 partition was mounted as “/”. I already had "/home’ on another disk and just had to ensure it was mounted as that. I’ve done this a few times now and had no problems at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Steve. I had another look at Ubiquity and just discovered there is an option to format a partition as “EFI System Partition”, so that explains why it didn’t boot the first two times and where to set one on a clean UEFI system in future. :slight_smile:

I’m surprised Ubiquity didn’t ask me “Are you sure you don’t need a EFI partition?” like it does with swap. :confounded:

3 Likes

Hi Luke,

thanks for the heads up, I have added this bit at the beginning of the guide as I personally don’t have any UEFI systems with which I can replicate the situation!:

People who have a PC/Notebook with UEFI, please see this link before commencing as it may be necessary to add a UEFI partition to your partition layout!!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

2 Likes