Ubuntu MATE 19.10 Beta Testing

OK then, the issue is not on our themes. This bug should be filed on launchpad and tagged for Firefox and/or GTK.

It's impossible to configure time and date format, I want to show "dayname Month HH:min", I know the old applet is replaced by this new one, but where is the location of this new applet in dconf ?

After upgrade ...
I personally think that current Indicator Applet Complete and Mate Advanced Menu icons are too small compared with toolbar wideness (for a bar wideness of 20 pixels and 11 on font size witch I currently run). I barely see them when others are easily "read"
Other icons have correct sizes, I put another panel picture for reference.

I know that a lot of work has been put into it so I appreciate it, maybe in the next release Indicator applet complete icons can be made larger and reduce padding and reduce spacing between them, and of course, as other people like here mention I prefer to be present along clock also the date. Padding and spacing I can reduce it myself using CSD, as I have done it in 18.04, but I don't know, for now, how to adjust the icon sizing to be back like the original in 18.04, witch I consider be the right size (as following pictures from other pc, with padding and spacing modified to 0 on Mate 19.04).

In rest everything look grate with this release, ...

The flip done timed out bug fix is included in the beta. Great!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1685442

You can check the Software Boutique that is Natively pre-installed in Ubuntu Mate
Or you can download the Debian Package Manager
And check all the missing Codecs

Maybe you can add applets resizing capabilities
in the Applets section
So everyone would have the ability to choose which size is best for them

Older people need bigger icons Applets and widgets

Food for thought

Ok I want to mention some small really not so important issue after upgrade, maybe address in some future releases. These are really not important at all, just very fine tuning of upgrade.

1. After upgrade executing the command 'sudo apt autoremove --purge' brings along unused package 'ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-disco*' for the removing process. I don't know if this will remove some wallpapers or not, but I consider that all Mate wallpapers until current release should be available even on new install from scratch. Maybe I buy a new PC and I want to use on it a wallpaper that par example cam with Mate 16.04. So this is related to wallpapers after upgrade/new release image, without investigating further, just observing that ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-disco* package no more used and ready to be auto-removed.
  2. On upgrade, in mate Tweak we currently have Compiz and Compton even in the new release this are specially removed and no more available, so also in the "upgrade script" this should be removed. As no more useful after screen tearing fix. (Even screen tearing fix might not work with Nvidia proprietary driver, returning to nuveau worth it).
  3. Using Nvidia proprietary driver on upgrade dpkg configuration failed, so from Control Center > Software and Updates > Additional Drives I chose the latest driver for my card (435 package) after selecting it and apply installation on it, it failed, because of dependencies that does not want to be automatically installed: 'libnvidia-cfg1-435' and 'xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-435'. So before selecting this option I have to manually install them before in terminal.

No, I think applets should automatically resize themselves to fit the panel. If you need them bigger, chances are you need the entire panel to be bigger anyway.

Otherwise changing the panel size would be a nightmare, as you'd need to change each applet's size individually...

1 Like

Point taken

I was assuming he was going to work something
to help the development team...and that he was focused on the applets
I just adviced him to code an entirely stand alone program that resizes applets icons and widgets...above the "messed up algorithm" of the OS
Sorry for the misunderstanding

Also it's humanly impossible to search and find
the exact line for each applets in the source code...even with the best finder in the world
and make the right changes without further messing up the source code

So the solution is (my thought) patch-up program

That, basically.

It doesn't matter which way you approach it: you can't magically change the size of the applet's rendering space without changing the applet itself. An "external program" still can't do anything except record a "fake" size for the applet to work to, so acting on that value still has to happen within the "impossible to search and find the exact line" area that you mention. By the time you've found that, it's not really any harder to fix up the logic as is it is to just pile another hack on top of what's in there already, and you get a much more maintainable codebase at the end of it plus not needing that patch-up program (which, remember would add more work every time someone made a new applet).

Hi @Med_Medin,

the dconf section for the applet you are looking for is /com/canonical/indicator/datetime/. You may want to check "show-date" and "show-day" toggles.

Best regards!

1 Like

Thanks really man, that was very precise and helpful :wink:

5 posts were split to a new topic: 19.10 - Notification area has useless spaces

I don't use evolution so I tried to completely removed it then indicator-datetime package was also removed and my time indicator disappeared, when I tried to reinstall indicator-datetime other packages related to evolution are trying to be installed as well

@ubuntu-mate:~$ sudo apt install indicator-datetime
The following NEW packages will be installed:
evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common indicator-datetime libaccounts-glib0 libcamel-1.2-62 libebackend-1.2-10 libebook-1.2-20 libebook-contacts-1.2-3
libecal-2.0-1 libedata-book-1.2-26 libedata-cal-2.0-1 libedataserver-1.2-24 libedataserverui-1.2-2 libgeocode-glib0 libgweather-3-15 libgweather-common
libmessaging-menu0 libphonenumber7 ubuntu-touch-sounds

How can I reinstall indicator-datetime without those packages ?

I don't think it's possible, it wouldn't work without them

1 Like

But the old clock-applet which shows date and time correctly does not need those packages to work, so why the new datetime indicator need those useless packages ?

The indicator integrates with evolution to show calendar events, bringing back a feature that GNOME 2 had back in the day (albeit with the applet rather than indicators, since indicators were not yet a thing back then)

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind response, truth I use browser (Firefox) for everything : gmail, tasks, planing, events, bugs..., so back to the nice old clock applet :slight_smile:
Why I hate installing Evolution is that so many services are started automatically with it which consume my precious memory/cpu on my old laptop.

1 Like

Hello everyone
I had a lot of trouble with a 19.10 install from the beta iso and I wanted to pass it on.

This is an older Core Duo Optiplex 760 with an AMD Radeon Cedar video card installed. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, but it's been a great media center computer for many years and never had much trouble.

My install using ubiquity on this computer is always the same: BIOS installer, for partitioning I choose More Options, and I choose sdb1 for a fresh install of the root filesystem (with formatting) and sdb2 for mounting /home (no reformat.)

The entire process completed, but then GRUB could not install to sdb. The only error it gave was "there has been an error."

I'm sorry I can't give more info- the machine needed to be functional again by this morning so it's happily running Debian Buster now.