Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS Beta Testing

I saw this bug many times but I think that is normal, wich Mate Tweak Panel is becoming better with the time. Changing the desktop layout maybe isn't something simple to program than we though...

New install 20.04
Steam will not install. Please help!
Package dependencies cannot be resolved

This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

steam:i386: Depends: libxinerama1 (>= 2:1.1.1) but 2:1.1.4-2 is to be installed

Are you trying to install this on a Raspberry Pi? To make it a Steam Link device (so you can stream games to a TV with the RPi)? In which case, maybe go back to Raspbian and try these instructions: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6153-IFGH-6589

Or are you trying to install the Steam Client on the Raspberry Pi? In which case, I don't know if it will work. The unmet dependency looks like a i386 package which is for a computer that uses a different kind of processor than what the Raspberry Pi has. i386 is more laptops and desktops. RPis use ARM processors.

1 Like

@knutecht is right on both counts...

If you are trying to install the Steam client - that will NOT run on a raspberry pi, since Steam requires i386 libraries, and RasPI is ARM based.

But yes, you can turn your PI into a "SteamLink" streamer via said article that @knutecht linked!

Thank you Kyle. No, just trying to use it on a standard PC with newly installed Ubuntu Mate 20.04

Regards

Dave

I cannot replicate this. However, please see this post for a work-around. Steam won’t install via software boutique

Thank you very much for the info. But, still no good.

Regards

Dave

The following packages have unmet dependencies.

steam:i386 : Depends: libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 (>= 17.3) but it is not going to be installed or
libtxc-dxtn0:i386 but it is not installable
Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgpg-error0:i386 (>= 1.10) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libudev1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxcb-dri3-0:i386 (>= 1.11.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxinerama1:i386 (>= 2:1.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.15) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6:i386 (>= 4.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libx11-6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxss1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Package dependencies cannot be resolved

This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.

Oh, didn't know about that. Thanks @lah7. When i install it i will take a look at it and change it :+1:

Oh dear! My clementine will not install either. Maybe I should have waited until 23rd!

You can change the theme to Unity; right click -> dock prefs -> appearance. This will give you smaller icons.

Adding a due date for a task (local) still crashes the clock.

1 Like

I think you are confusing "Dock prefs" with "Panel prefs". The second one has the option to reduce the size of the panel and since the dock expands to use all space available in the panel, you have to move the dock so that you have a place where you can right click to show the "Panel prefs" dialog.
If I'm wrong, please post a picture were you right click and the config dialog.

I think the dock should show both menus when right click or the "Panel prefs" should be available in the Control center (as in XFCE for example).

I'm not.

You can't change the size of the panel in that dialog.

See this:
panel menu

Are you installing this via the Software Boutique?

I just tested and installed Steam again on a fresh install and cannot replicate the issues you are seeing.

I thought you did not like the size of icons on the dock in a Mutiny layout. If I misunderstood your problem, I am truly sorry.

When you switch to Mutiny, the size of the dock (not the top panel) is fixed at 66 px and the default icons are really big. One way to scale them smaller is switch themes (dock themes).

In your screenshot, I do not see a dock proper but a panel imitating a dock.

1 Like

Ok thanks Frank. Maybe I'll re-load 20.04 again tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Dave

I rather think this has already been posted but...
I will try not to be too long winded.
I downloaded the daily build ISO of the standard gnome 3 version, and installed it in a VirtualBox. The host is Linux Mint 19.3, the VBox is current, the install went well, I did the first update and then could log in / reboot about 4 or 5 times and then, it started logging me out after about 15 seconds. After messing around for a while, I deleted it and said Let's try that again tomorrow.
I tried again, and got the same effect.
I tried the next day and went after the Mate version, which is what I wanted anyway. Same result.
I tried the day after, and got the same result.
I just tried the fresh install of 19.10 and ~
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
~ and that seemed to work a treat, but after about five or six reboots, same problem again.
I have tried to login at the black screen moment as root, but I'm simply not quick enough.
I have tried to open a term and go sudo su but it goes black-screen at the password stage, again, I'm not quick enough.
What's causing this I don't know, but it is persistent and it applies to the Mate version and the gnome3 version, and it happens with the downloaded ISO and it also happens with the sudo do-release-upgrade -d upgrade path.
I have Mint as my host, and I have Ub Mate 19.10 as a guest, my 20.04 is a sneak-peek at the future, it's no skin off my nose if it doesn't work, but I thought somebody should be told... This is what beta testing is for.
PS : My email is [email protected]

Ok, all fixed now thank you Bill. Must have gone a bit wonky when I first installed it. Got new ISO and re-installed and Stem and Clementine all up and running.

Thank you

Dave

2 Likes

Minor update. I deleted it all again, downloaded the next daily build, installed...
Had a poke around and found this.

I ticked the box & got warned my software list was out of date, updated, got about 80MB of update, including a new kernel...
5.4.0-23 generic
Whether this has fixed all my problems I don't know. I'm not terribly keen to just sit here and manually reboot the thing ten times and see. So far, it's all behaving quite well.

Follow-up several hours later. That pre-release updates thing seems to have fixed my issue completely. What it was I don't know, but it's fixed.