Ubuntu MATE Welcome screen

Unless I'm misreading this, it appears the text highlighted in the following screen capture should be reversed?

Should read as follows:
Ctrl + Alt + Left = Switch to the previous workspace. (<- Possibly also workspace, instead of "workspaces"?)
Ctrl + Alt + Right = Switch to the next workspace.

With this being an older thread, please feel free to move this post to a more relevant location if necessary.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ve just pushed the correction for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

16.04 64bit beta 1 small bug.

First bootup
Welcome screen comes up.
Click top right to keep software updated.
The update starts fine and continues.
Close Welcome screen and the Update window closes and I assume it is still running in the background as cannot open other stuff like Deb Installer which says multiple package managers cannot run at the same time.

I couldn’t reproduce this bug with the latest version of Welcome. Please try again when Beta 2 arrives on Thursday.

Do I need to start from scratch with beta 2 ISO?

Running on an Asus VX6 laptop with Nvidia optimus graphics, and have never
been able to get web video playback to be smooth except for Windows 7.
I.e. Netflix or youtube. I have to try the beta 2 and how it goes. The
Nvidia optimus was another failed technology. What mistake that laptop was.

Please do. It is possible to update to Beta 2 (by updating normally) - but it’s recommended to start clean so any unused packages or previous bugs won’t be present. These builds are intended for testing purposes.

Just spotted another change, right below previous changes.

These two should also be switched?

Thank you Wimpy (et al.) for Welcome screen updates, looking very slick after recent updates with it's smooth transitional effects and animations. :slight_smile:

Thanks again @DaveB, I’ve amended the error.

Sorry to keep finding issues, just found another while testing latest Welcome update.

While System Specifications appear fine in VirtualBox guest

On host system there's some issues with partially overlapping text (BTW, don't be concerned by missing Motherboard info :smiley:)

Really liking the system identified graphic elements used. :slight_smile:

It’s all good, I’ve been hoping to get some feedback on how well this page works on other systems. I’ll look into addressing the overlapping and why text “leaks” in to some areas in VirtualBox.

Please do keep the bugs coming! The sooner the better. :slight_smile:

@Wimpy, @lah7,

would you like me to proof read the English language versions of Welcome and see if I can find any errors and correct them?. :smiley:

I worked for the American government several years ago and I am aware of the differences between British and American English!. :ghost:

Great, thanks! :slight_smile:

Would the easiest fix be to use a one point smaller font size (only for retrieved system information) to allow more room?

Interesting, missed text leaking in VirtualBox system specs. Good catch!

Welcome -> Software

Is there a way to prevent the rapid side-to-side wobble (text veers left, then right) as text zooms in, if not, would a top to bottom fade-in work instead?

Hi, is there a trick to getting this thing to display?
I'm running 16.04B in a VM and on an old 32 bit laptop, and on both I only see this:

Edit: I have subscribed to Welcome Updates

I'm using BlackMATE theme on 16.04 Beta 1 and text No filter is a little bit hard to read.

But when you click on it looks fine

Also is it possible to somehow mark when new software is added to collection and in which category? (Hope that make sense?)

With the translation deadline in about 2 weeks, It would be inconvenient to change any further strings. Otherwise it will get to a point some languages are not 100% translated in time and end up with English strings. It’s also UI freeze.

@Wimpy informs me it’ll be fine to make further corrections, so please do if you have time. Ideally, all final string changes should be set in one go ASAP to avoid incomplete translations.

@wolfman, please let us know your feedback to this thread.

That sounds easy enough. I originally thought of scroll bars or ellipsis. :thumbsup:

Ubuntu (and its flavours) are in UI freeze. Changing the animation now wouldn’t be permitted. I consider your question an opinion, but I’ll keep it noted.

That’s an old version of Welcome, it did work by typing ubuntu-mate-welcome from the terminal. This screen is different now.

It’s a known problem with the Black-MATE theme, just like Caja displays really dark text. @Wimpy’s on it, the issue should be fixed in a week or so.

1 Like

That’s great to hear :thumbsup:
I notice it in Caja too, but sometimes it went to white and I couldn’t figure it out why until recently. If you press F3 and then click on the right panel it switches to white and stay that way until you close Caja.

No problem. Was meant as an observation rather than opinion, thought possibly the side-to-side text movement wasn’t intentional but might be difficult to fix. :slight_smile:

Ah, in that case, the animation is Zoom In (from left). It’s intended as a bit of a fancy entrance, not some malformed, wonky animation. :wink:

Wonder if it’s displaying differently on my system?

As text zooms, it first jumps left, then right, then back to centre. Would it help if I try and make a video so you can see what I’m seeing?

Almost forgot to mention:
Thanks for giving me a chuckle :smile: