ISO burning software

I need to burn an ISO, brasero nor k3b want help:

• Brasero sees just 230 Mb on empty disk
  • K3b left a message Optimum Power Calibration failed. Probably the writer does not like the medium.

So I am looking for other burning software, which may help.

I also wonder weather the problem might be related to "Unable to mount blank CD-R disk" error message. As it was already reported in the forum, the fix stayed in the manipulation of mime type.

Try imagewriter or unetbootin

If you are trying to burn a CD or DVD, K3b should do the trick.
K3b>more actionss>burn image.

Just burning the ISO as data will not work, as the software has to extract the ISO before burning it to the CD\DVD.

If your are trying to write to a USB Drive, then I like Etcher myself. It is no longer in the official Ubuntu repository, but can be downloaded at :

You want the " balena-etcher-electron_1.5.109_amd64.deb " file and install with gdebi.

You will find it under "Accessories" after installation. Etcher is pretty self-explanatory to use. It will not update when installed this way, but will tell you when a new version is available.

1 Like

As I allready said K3b does not work to me either. I had allready problems with burning software on Windows. Several programs were unsuccesfull, juts CDBurnerXP and Nero were sucessful.

Every time I have seen an issue like you describe it has been related to a hardware problem. Sometimes it was solved temporarily with a better brand of CD, but I saw two occasions it was a failing mother board and one where it was a failing CD\DVD writer. These were all like you describe and on Windows. I am not saying that is your problem, but it could be that.

You could still try xfburn, or using a terminal and the DD command (you can find tutorials online). Last you could try using wine or play on linux (img burn is a play on linux default program) to install Nero on your system. I was successful running an Ashampo burning program that way for years.

Check your system whether it supports DVD burning. Start by opening a terminal window and execution of the bellow command:

$ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Good luck.

Indeed something is wrong with my laptop, I have problems with cursor also. As a last try, Id like to update BIOS. The PC is about 7 years old, so if the BIOS update won't fix it I guess I will bury it. Unfortunately, the update is just for Win/DOS, that's why I am trying to burn FreeDOS ISO.

I am using Verbatim, so that should not be an issue.

I used to run Ashampoo for years, but recently it won't work either.

Thx.

I am using Verbatim, so that should not be an issue.

I had the best luck with Sony and TDK in these situations, but as I said all eventually failed. One was even a brand new out of the box desktop (Win7, HP) my step-daughter had bought. HP did replace it without cost.

Hello,

I had been using brasero for years now but lately it seems to be giving me issues when closing sessions and been producing coasters.

So I switched to K3b and that surely is my get to binary as it never failed me once. Yet.

I understand this is not the case with you. Therefore, if you're feeling good working in a terminal (Or even if you're not) there are those 2 other very neat options that I would suggest:

1. BASHBURN @ https://sourceforge.net/projects/bashburn/
    (Note to self: I swear that I was able to install bashburn via apt before 20.04)

Bashburn is fairly easy to use, interface wise with that mc feeling.

1. WODIM (More minimalist but still very easy to use)
$ sudo apt install wodim -y
[...]
$ wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (4 found) :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 0  dev='/dev/sg0'	rwrw-- : 'ASUS' 'DRW-24F1ST   c'
 1  dev='/dev/sg1'	rwrw-- : 'ASUS' 'DRW-24F1ST   c'
 2  dev='/dev/sg2'	rwrw-- : 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GH24NSC0'
 3  dev='/dev/sg3'	rwrw-- : 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GH24NSC0'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ wodim dev=/dev/sg1 -v data /path/to/my.iso
[...]
$

Hope this helps!

PS: If all of this fails then I would suggest the problem is with your drive and not with any of the binaries.
PSS: You should also look under dmesg when burning is being done just in case it catches errors for you...

After having tried to burn several ISOs myself lately using either k3b and/or wodim all methods produce blank discs even though the process seems to have made it through and simulation was disabled...

EDIT:
Problem was: my optical discs.