Removing Haskell Platform

I installed the Haskell platform then had some problems. The main issue was that I would get the following error message whenever I would start terminal:

Error: 0: couldn’t open source file <ghc-7.10.3>
ghc-7.10.3: No such file or directory
bash: warning: here-document at line 119 delimited by end-of-file (wanted `EOF’)

I have removed it from my laptop, but I’m still getting the error message in terminal. What should I do?

Hi,

did you use this PPA?:

https://www.haskell.org/downloads/linux

Have you checked in your /home folder for hidden files (press Ctrl + h to show hidden files) and then remove (delete) the .haskell folder?. :smiley:

I honestly don’t remember using PPA. I checked as you suggested and the .haskell folder was not in my home folder.

Hi Kenneth,

well all I can really suggest is you try that PPA I mentioned and see if it helps as I don’t have the app installed myself!. :smiley:

How do I get terminal to download and install that PPA?

Hi Kenneth,

open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and paste the following lines one after the other pressing “Enter” after each paste:

UbuntuSteps to setup ghc and cabal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y software-properties-common

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:hvr/ghc

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y cabal-install-1.22 ghc-7.10.3

cat >> ~/.bashrc <<EOF

export PATH="\$HOME/.cabal/bin:/opt/cabal/1.22/bin:/opt/ghc/7.10.3/bin:\$PATH"

EOF

export PATH=~/.cabal/bin:/opt/cabal/1.22/bin:/opt/ghc/7.10.3/bin:$PATH

Then go here and add the version you require pasting the apporiate command for your Ubuntu version in the terminal:

As far as I can tell the commands above are all correct?, I took them from here:

https://www.haskell.org/downloads/linux

I tried the PPA and I’m still getting that error message when I start the terminal. Thanks for your help anyway.

Okay! Now I’m getting this error message:

Error: 0: couldn’t open source file <ghc-7.10.3>
ghc-7.10.3: No such file or directory
bash: warning: here-document at line 119 delimited by end-of-file (wanted `EOF’)
bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

I’ve tried to remove it and it’s dependencies, I even tried to purge it and it’s dependencies, but all I get is the following message:

Now what do I do?

Having looked at the commands from the website again, I think this line might be correct now (I did tell you to enter them all as single commands so my fault there, sorry!):

export PATH="\$HOME/.cabal/bin:/opt/cabal/1.22/bin:/opt/ghc/7.10.3/bin:\$PATH" EOF

So try running the other commands like so:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y software-properties-common

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:hvr/ghc

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y cabal-install-1.22 ghc-7.10.3

cat >> ~/.bashrc <<EOF

export PATH="\$HOME/.cabal/bin:/opt/cabal/1.22/bin:/opt/ghc/7.10.3/bin:\$PATH" EOF

export PATH=~/.cabal/bin:/opt/cabal/1.22/bin:/opt/ghc/7.10.3/bin:$PATH

Every time I tried to enter a sudo command, terminal would always give the exact same response:

The rest seemed to have no effect. I appreciate the help though.

At this point, I’m seriously considering doing a complete reinstall when Ubuntu 16.04 LTS comes out. Maybe even trying a different distro. What do you think?

Try UM 16.04 Beta 2, it is up and running fine on my rig after a complete fresh install!. :smiley:

How would I get it to format the hard drive and do a full installation instead of just upgrading. I’m afraid that if it simply upgrades, I might be stuck with the same issue.

Hi Kenneth,

use the “Something Else” method and format both your “root” and “home” partitions instead of only root, it can be that simple:

If you want to know more about partitioning; go here:

Stacks of info here too if you feel the need to start from the beginning!:

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

My pleasure Kenneth, it’s on forums like this one that I learned how to do things and I’m just trying to pass on what I think works well for me!. :smiley:

And I’m very grateful for your help. I’m glad that there’s someone out there that’s willing share expertise with a newbie. In many cases, I’ve either been given the brush off or just felt ignored.

1 Like

Hi Kenneth,

often the written word can cause more damage than the spoken!. :confused: Don’t give up and once you have re-installed at least 100 times; you’ll be able to do it blindfold!. :smiley: