Software Updater Help

I tried to update this morning and the Software Updater said I needed more space in “/boot”. I tried to clean up some space and will have to try the update again later.
I am using 16.04 Alpha 1.

Do you have a separate /boot partition?

Usually it's just the kernels in /boot. You can safely remove them to free up space with this command:

sudo apt-get remove --purge $(dpkg -l 'linux-image-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d')

Sad to say, I do not know. I went with the default install. under /boot, using disk analyzer ubuntu-mate is at 98.6%.
160 GB drive, /root = 158 GB, 2.1 GB swap.
/boot is a directory

Make some spare spaces on your hard drive

1 Like

Take a look at the following 2 links and re-install with pre-formatted partitions:

See also:

Never mind about the separate /boot partition, a default install has just two partitions (one for files, one for swap). Updates are failing definitely because of a full disk.

The Disk Analyser tool will be helpful to find (and open) which folders accumulating the most space. If for some reason it's none of your files but the system itself that filled the space, start the tool as superuser to see the size of those privileged folders. Press ALT+F2 and type:

gksudo mate-disk-usage-analyzer

You could also post the output of

df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 919M 0 919M 0% /dev
tmpfs 188M 21M 168M 11% /run
/dev/mapper/ubuntu–mate–vg-root 145G 12G 126G 9% /
tmpfs 937M 740K 937M 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 937M 0 937M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 236M 147M 77M 66% /boot
cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
tmpfs 188M 48K 188M 1% /run/user/1000

Check out this bug

one of many

sudo apt-get remove --purge $(dpkg -l ‘linux-image-’ | sed ‘/^ii/!d;/’"$(uname -r | sed "s/(.)-([^0-9]+)/\1/")"’/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* ([^ ])./\1/;/[0-9]/!d’)
This freed up 432 MB of space.
I tried to run Control Center and had to update some libs.
Then I went to Welcome Center and did some things in the Broken Package area.
I updated the Source list and then ran the Upgrade Installed Packages.
Then back to Software Center for Software Updater.
So far so good.
Beta 1 in four days yay!