Typos or questions about English strings in ubuntu-mate-welcome

Understand where you are coming from with the original version, but the structure needs tweaking. Currently reads as… both sets of data will be isolated, but isolation will happen together, like two people in a room separated from everyone else.

with yours always implies a connection, from yours is correct.

Or, for a condensed version (less is more), consider?

Share your computer with others? To isolate data, set up each user with their own unique profile.

Know what you mean about over-thinking sentence structure. Sometimes can’t see the wood for the trees. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@lah7,

to do the proof-read; I will need a week to be on the safe side to read slowly through it all and don’t forget; I will also need to re-do any changes incurred on my own German translations!. :smiley:

See also:

Caught another. Corrected:

The following information is retrieved directly by the | inxi command line program.

To:

The following information is retrieved directly from the | inxi command line program.

1 Like

While reading through Introduction, just noticed this.

Original:

On many of (if not most of) the computers that make up the backbone of Internet

To:

On many of (if not most of) the computers that make up the backbone of the Internet

Or:

On many (if not most) computers providing the backbone of the Internet

1 Like

Good catch, I’ll go with:

On many (if not most) of the computers that make up the backbone of the Internet .

I wasn’t the original writer for Introduction and Features pages, there were a lot of long sentences originally. :neutral_face:

We’re about up to date with changes mentioned in this thread (and later today, @wolfman’s). Translations were also resynced to Tranflex yesterday…

Many thanks @Aluxandria, @wolfman and @DaveB for helping perfect Welcome’s language side of things! :smile:

1 Like

One thing I did notice is that the software app descriptions are all in English on my German version of Welcome!. :frowning:

Maybe you can copy & paste those in the translator too and we can do them as well?. :smiley:

It’s a bit of a technical challenge due to how this data is processed. :sweat: No guarantees, but we’ll look into it.

1 Like

It’s not a typo, but I think I have to mention:

Open Source software is licensed in a way that allows anyone to give it away for free, no strings attached. For example, the licence gives any member of the user community the freedom to use Linux for any purpose, to distribute, modify, redistribute, or even sell the operating system.

This isn’t accurate. The “no strings attached” is kind of misleading for new users, because:

1. If somebody redistrubute it, the software has to remain open source (if I’m not wrong) in most cases
  2. There are several kind of open source licenses, and not all of them allow modifying or redistributing, and some of these software are not free of charge. The minimum requirement (i think) is that the code must be available for studying.

So I think “no strings attached in most cases” phrase should be more accurate, or something like this.

1 Like

I would agree – this sentence better matches the definition of “Free Software”, like the GPL license. Not all of Ubuntu is free software though. Looking at the rest of the paragraphs, it’s context is in the perspective of Linux and Ubuntu MATE, so I’ll change it to match that:

… provided free of charge, like Ubuntu MATE. The distribution is licensed in a way that allows anyone to give it away for free, with no strings attached. For example, the licence gives any member of the user community the freedom to use Linux for any purpose, to distribute, modify, redistribute, or even sell the operating system.

2 Likes

Hi, guys

1. There is untraslatable string in “rpi” file
    Compatible:
  2. In file “Donate” after
    is also available. Click (20th string)
    and before
    Become a Patron (16th string)
    there is an article/word “the” which is not translatable.

Thank you @Moo, apologises for not getting back to you earlier. All fixed, will be updated on Transflex later today.

There’s also some new strings awaiting translation in the next sync - ubuntu-mate-welcome.pot had a bit of a bumpy ride to Transflex. :blush:

@lah7 What do you do, if some word like The that is on it’s own doesn’t exist in my language for example?

You can leave it blank, but since the translator will complain, leave a non-breaking blank space instead:

What language are you translating @ele ?. :smiley:

Thanks Luke! I think you mention this before, but couldn’t find where…

@wolfman Slovenian :slight_smile: If it wasn’t obvious from another topic about Launchpad which is already translated and revived by a member of our local team :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up @ele, so how do you people translate “the” then?. :smiley:

We don’t. It doesn’t exist in our language like in German die, das, den. Those words have no meaning in Slovenian :wink:

@lah7 I’m not sure this is typo but in getting started.pot it say Remember, Ubuntu MATE needs at minimum 8 GB of disk space. But at some other point it said it needed at least 10 GB of disk space. I think it even didn’t let me install in virtualbox when I had only 8 GB as I was just testing something and had to change it to 10 GB.

It is 8 GB, I just confirmed. Now, Ubiquity I have been told doubles the squashfs to check, so that’s why the installation wizard complains there isn’t enough space for a 8 GB virtual disk. :frowning:

Edit: Found out that an extra 400 MB is added during installation for “out of the box” language support (new 16.04 guidelines), but the installation will clean it up at the end (Ubiquity detects the language in use).

Found another mistake in getting started.pot
You computer may require updates to your language and localization settings, or you may want to install additional language support.

Shouldn’t be Your?