Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS Beta Testing

That sompin' is here:

You should be able to press S to skip... but I just noticed the beta ISO doesn't! :thinking: Could be a bug? Pretty sure it worked on earlier daily ISOs!

1 Like

Ctrl + C will stop the ISO check.

There is a bug about this: https://pad.lv/1870018

1 Like

Sorry you encountered this. Glad you were able to get it resolved.

There is a bug on this: https://pad.lv/1864293

I know that @Wimpy is actively working on this issue.

Thanks @lah7 and @franksmcb. I can verify both 'S' and 'Ctrl+C' work in strange ways. The response is to count % faster before sometimes reporting it was skipped. Very erratic how it operates.

It needs something better and clear skip instructions. I think I saw Ctrl+C once very early.

EDIT: The above was all done with VirtualBox. A memory stick boot is quite different. 'S' hit repeatedly actually resulted in a hang but 'Ctrl+C' works rather well.

Not a problem at all. It is a beta release afterall. Great that it was caught in time. let me know if I can help debugging. I'm not at all familiar with how apt works in the background but if there is any info I can provide I'm happy to share.

Checking at a glance, seahorse is flickering, says, 'gtk_widget_draw: assertion '!widget->priv->alloc_needed' failed' I am now looking into the issue to fix it, but I haven't found the solution.

Upgrade of my Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS terminal server "sei" to 20.04-beta completed without any errors, but there is a problem with "x2go-server", which results in thick black borders around windows on the "x2go" remote desktop - These do not appear if I login locally on the server and it is not associated with any particular user account:

manager@sei:~$ lsb_release -d
Description: Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)
manager@sei:~$ uname -a
Linux sei 5.4.0-21-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Sat Mar 28 13:10:28 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
manager@sei:~$ apt policy x2goserver
x2goserver:
Installed: 4.1.0.3-5
Candidate: 4.1.0.3-5
Version table:
*** 4.1.0.3-5 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

(upload://vsP7dnF76iHxPemMSm7g22IIWPW.png)

I suspect the black borders are caused by the new transparent window borders that were added for easier resizing.

I noticed the same double menu with the Contemporary panel layout.

Flatpak tray icons for some qt apps are still having problem appearing.

flatpak obs compared to regular obs

flatpak qbittorrent compared to regular qbitorrent

flatpak keepassxc compared to regular keepassxc

Also, if there are 2 different versions of the same program (like a flatpak and regular apt install) only one appears in the menu. Seem to remember older versions showing both...

Would you and @James_Harking please open a bug about that double menu issue against marco please.

Thanks

Issue created: https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/611

1 Like

Hello all! I've been having an issue running Origin in Lutris with the Beta, and I wonder if anyone else is having the same error. I've reinstalled winehq to the Development branch, and reinstalled Lutris, but I keep getting this issue:

Is this a possible bug, either with UM, Wine, or Lutris, or more likely something on my end? Would appreciate any advice!

Monica

It looks really bad, I am very surprised that it got through testing. You would have thought that looking at menus in the different panel layouts would have been a prerequisite. It makes that panel layout look really ameture and a usability problem.

As it doesn't happen in some layouts hopefully it isn't a big issue to resolve. I would however of thought that the menu shouldn't exist at all in the application window only in the top panel like in OSX.

Thank you for opening the issue. One difference I noticed in your screenshot was that you had the repeat in the top panel and menu of the application. However you didn't have the whole menu items repeated twice as I had. See screenshot above.

In the panel the listed items are : File --> Help and then it starts once again. Almost the whole top panel are menu items.

Is there any possibility of having a minimise to desktop panel item in the Redmond Layout for consistency purposes with actual Windows layout? This would be a quick fix and add real value for Windows switchers.

You are welcome. Good point about the difference in the screen shots. I posted yours to the github issue.

Hello folks. First of all, i really liked this beta. It's really polished. Kudos to all QAs that really made the difference and all devs that fixed most of the reported bugs.

With all that said, let's cut to the chase.

• Positive points i saw during my test:

Doing ALT+TAB + Click on the selected application to be restored is working as expected. That's really nice that this feature made into the final release. It was a long wanted one and now it's finally here.

• Points to be improved

I know there's no time left to implement that so i'll just drop it here as a suggestion for a furure implementation. Doing ALT+TAB on Ubuntu with Gnome and hovering the mouse cursor on a application will show a preview of it. And if there's a video playing on a video player such a Celluloid or a video running on a browser, this preview will even show the video being played. That would be a nice future addition to UM overall.

• Negative points

I only saw one negative thing and that i consider a lack of consistency. On 18.04, the volume icon(That shows up when you change the volume through keyboard) was much more consistent and subtle and even looked modern but now, it was replaced by a really outdated icon that looks like it was directly taken from win 98 or even win 2000. Here's a comparison of both icons.

18.04:
screenshot_1

20.04 Beta:
Screenshot at 2020-04-07 00-02-08

Well, those are my thoughts on UM 20.04 Beta. I really think this is the best UM release until now and will bring tons of people to Ubuntu therefore Linux for sure. Nice job UM team.

When I try to install Gimp via the Software Boutique I get this error:

But then I'm able to gimp and gimp-plugin-registry from the command line without issue.

Hello again, I want to give some sugestions (and maybe report something) about the mini window on the task bar.

There is the mini window, ok, no problem with them - they are some great addition to system.
And, at same time, the title bar with "nathandrake" inside, that is the title of my home folder.

The problem is seeing the two things at same time, wich is instantly.

The sugestion is:
Put a bigger timer to show the title name in black bar, so you can see the mini window and after 3 or 5 secs it will show the title name; or some option to mask this, to not show anymore, just the mini window.